Native American bag?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by neil moats, Jan 20, 2020.

1. neil moats

neil moats Member

Darkwing Manor and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a 1920s drawstring handbag with shattered silk to my eye. Let's see what others have to say.

Debora

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  3. neil moats

neil moats Member

This would make sense. It was with many other handbags from the 20s and 30s. It just looked like it could be Native American. Looking forward to other replies. Thanks Debora.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's something similar.

Debora

4d4cc067f4f4a24bd4a8b7cdfa71ed2d.jpg

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Weird. I posted and it vanished. I'll repeat it. I have a collection of beaded bags. On one hand, it's vaguely reminiscent of floral patterns used by Northeastern tribal work, but these bags were also being made in France and Germany. I hope someone knowledgable comes along because I've forgotten all I once knew on the subject. :(

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nonsense. You just filed it away and can't remember where!

Debora

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not an expert but... Don't think Native American bags were silk-lined.

Debora

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

The ones they made for sale were. I also have scissors holders and picture frames. A lot of it is the 3D type of beadwork, but they also did evening bags. Here are some examples off the internet because mine is all packed away. 29614108_1.jpg Vintage-Native-American-Indian-Beaded-Bag.jpg il_340x270.1614708131_ttyi.jpg

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Debora

Lucille.b, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

My daughter recently told me that I should sell them because a) there are only grandsons and nephews who are not interested in collecting; and b) she is a minimalist and is not interested in collecting. Alas.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is disappointing. Still... One can't dictate the interests of others. (It's just important that they have some.)

Debora

Lucille.b, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I feel ya.....& she has a point !
    I enjoy mine every day..

P1010094.JPG

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Bev wait to sell or give a way. Your sons may have a wife who loves the stuff and when they find out that you got rid of it they will be disappointed.
    I had an aunt who when she had her portrait painted had the artist add a huge emerald necklace and ring and bracelet to the painting. When asked she told the story of how she wanted her husband nagged by the new second wife where are the emeralds?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

14. komokwa

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::eek:

kyratango likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like this has not been identified as Native American, or not? It's interesting how similar this one is to European bags also.

Maybe @Taupou would express an opinion on this? (Yes, I know that I'm almost a month late getting to this thread!)

16. komokwa

It's not any NA I know of...

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm sure it's not NA. As far as sons getting married, they both have and they are both divorced and not inclined to remarry. Various reasons. Besides, they are even less interested than daughter in my antiques. The older one is a minimalist like his sister - they must get it from their father. The younger one already has scoffed up all my antiques that he likes. I'm tempted to list the whole lot of beadwork together rather than piecemeal. Less psychic trauma.

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Apologies to Nell for hijacking her post.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

20. komokwa

If you could show a couple of examples that are similar to the OP's bag.....I'd be willing to look at them with an open mind....:hungry:

Draft saved Draft deleted