Featured Native American Basketry?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Vesuvia, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Hello All! I haven’t had much time to post anything lately, school has seen me busy staring at diamonds all day! Can’t and won’t complain about that, though! I have, of course, found a sliver of time for thrifting it up though, and wanted to ask if anyone out there might be able to help me identify 3 baskets I swooped in and scooped up. They appear to me to be Native American, but I am not exactly sure if they are or not. I am also unsure of their age or which tribe, if that is the case, they would have been produced by. Could someone have a look and advise of these things? I have more photos as well if any are needed, please let me know and I will post. 4AEAB35F-1184-444A-9870-75CE7802636B.jpeg Thank you very much!

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The oval one in front is a pine needle basket. Seminole in style I think.

I'll page one of our basket people for you @komokwa

Google Seminole Baskets and see if you can find others close in style to yours. They all look to be Pined needle baskets to me, but I'm not a Basket person.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

A closer picture of the 2 in back would help.

Christmasjoy, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Nice baskets.
    I must disagree with @Bdigger. The oval shallow coiled basket in front is probably Tohono O'odham (Papago), made with a grass bundle, with yucca and devil's claw stitching. The tall coiled basket on the left is probably Yupik (Alaskan Eskimo). It would have originally had a top knot to serve as a handle on the lid. And the coiled lidded basket in back on the right is made of pine needles. This could be Seminole, but many artisans have taken up pine needle basketry, so without more information it may be difficult to attribute.
    The Tohono O'odham have been prolific basket makers, producing similar types throughout the 20th century. The one you found appears to be in very good condition.
    The Yupik basket is less common, but loss of the top knot would reduce value.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Figtree3, Vesuvia, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The pine needle is likely Seminole....but not for certain.
    the papago looks right for Papago.. 1930 to 50.....or there abouts.
    The other is indeed Alaskan.. it's a Hooper Bay basket , turn of the century... & would have had a knob..or ring on the top...

upload_2019-9-23_14-54-9.jpeg

I think 2 MB....has joined the ranks of Basket People here !!! :playful::playful::playful:

7. komokwa

Sidebar....Hooper Bay baskets are usually very tight and strong , & the lid is snug...leading to the loss of the top portion which folks just luv to pull at !!! :(

Vesuvia, Christmasjoy and 2manybooks like this.
  8. 2manybooks

I should add that the Coushatta of Louisiana are another possibility for the pine needle basket.

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. 2manybooks

Aw, shucks. I feel honored. :happy:

judy, komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. komokwa

Let's just say you're in good company !!! :happy::happy::playful::playful::playful::woot::woot::woot:

Not a lot of basket savvy folks here....:wideyed:

judy and 2manybooks like this.
  11. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

I was actually quite surprised at the snugness with which the lid help to the basket! It’s rather secure. When looking closer I see where there is breakage on the lid from where the knob would have been. :(

2manybooks and komokwa like this.
  12. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Thank you all so much for looking at these! I guess someone had donated a rather large trove of these and many other baskets to the local thrift shop. I got there late, but saw these last three and snatched them right up. My father and I are Yurok, so I have seen what quality basket weaving looks like and thought these were special. My dad collects basketry, so is the proud new owner of these wonderful baskets. I’ll let him know what he’s got!

You all are so wonderful to help identify. Thank you, and I hope to have something more to share soon! Cheers!

13. komokwa

I luv Yurok ( Hupa ) hats !
    I've owned and sold several.
    I'm sure your dad has a fine collection !!!
    As a friend of the 1st Nations people....I say to you...Welcome !!

Vesuvia, Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  14. 2manybooks

Happy to be helpful, and definitely looking forward to more baskets!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted