Featured Native American Indian Striped Blanket

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Dec 13, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

This is a very soft wool blanket or Chief blanket . I got this at my local thrift store today for $1, this is why I only go there to buy stuff, my house is full of things from there I decorate my home with. For the last 3 weeks, the trucks from the thrift store have been bringing things from Palm Springs Ca. stores and homes.
    This blanket measures approx. 50 1/2" x 37 1/2", who knows where this blanket was made, or when or who actually used it ? I think it's to small to be a chief's blanket, does anyone agree or have any ideas ?

Thank You

Billy D. 006.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not a chief's blanket - on those the stripes run the long way, so that they are horizontal when the blanket is wrapped around the body. The side cords and warp ends look consistent with Navajo weaving. Perhaps a saddle blanket from the late 19th - early 20th century. It sounds like churro wool (soft and silky), which would date it to before the 1930s, when the US government decided to "improve" the Navajo sheep by eliminating most of the traditional churro and introducing the merino breed.
    For reference: https://www.medicinemangallery.com/...rugs-navajo-blankets-for-sale/saddle-blankets

aaroncab, Houseful, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  3. billyd3us

Very good information, I appreciate the website you showed, I had a bit of a hunch it wasn’t a chiefs blanket

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Billy,
    I love your wire circular plant stand in the second photo. I had several of them and hated selling them but I had no room when I moved. I love your blanket also.
    greg

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I sold one of those plant stands at the flea last year. I was tempted to keep it but had no place it fit in :inpain:

i need help, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    It figures, now that I have room for one I never see them anymore.:oops: I had the two that went on either side of the round one.
    greg

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty good deal for a buck! I used to see those plant stands all the time, but they've disappeared.

judy, pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  8. billyd3us

Thanks Greg, I got the wire plant stand about 2 months ago from a neighbors house. I love it too and not selling it, though some of my friends and visitors ask to buy it, haha, no way.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted