Native American or Mexican Pottery?....Age??

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Alesia42, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!....This is what I think may be Native American Pottery.....there are 2 of them....I am thinking of going back to purchase them....and it's always best to buy a pair....but I want to know more if they are at least vintage....at least early 70's....and not recent....if anyone knows please feel free to share your thoughts.....Thanks! rsz_feilds_of_daylillies_and_jade_bracelet_016.jpg rsz_feilds_of_daylillies_and_jade_bracelet_017.jpg rsz_feilds_of_daylillies_and_jade_bracelet_018.jpg

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I have a little pot that's like this, very tiny, small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. I posted it years ago and got a very good ID from @Taupou .

If I remember right it's Mexico, the Spanish word for cinnamon is used to describe the color, it's coiled and smoothed by hand, unfired pottery.

I'll try to search for the old thread and post a link if I can find it. It was under my original ID, plain old LauraGarnet without the 02.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not Native American. But possibly Mexican - not a particularly fine example in any case.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. LauraGarnet02

Ugh! I can't find the old thread, I don't know if it's just me too dumb to find it or if it's not archived anymore.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We used to get food and drinks served in similar pottery in some restaurants in Mexico. We took some small pieces with us, as they were going to throw them away. In those days (early 70s) it was cheaper to get new ones made, than to pay someone to wash the dishes.;)

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Laura I found a thread on ebay boards. Could that be what you're looking for?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archi...-or-Mexican/m-p/3038122/highlight/true#M29932

The photo of the Mexican pot doesn't show for me but Taupou said of that one:
    "The first one is Mexican, from Tonala. It's called barro brunido canelo, which translates to "cinnamon-colored burnished clay." It's a common type of low-cost souvenir pottery."

7. LauraGarnet02

@say_it_slowly that's it! No wonder I couldn't find it, I didn't post it here LOL:shame::hilarious:
    I just love you people here at antiquers, my bosom boardies. So clever and smart! Thanks for finding that.

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hey many of us were there before we were here:)

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted