Native American Painting Signed Sumiko Hulett

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 9, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg Finding some Sumiko Huletts' on google but no listed artist by that name

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Sumiko sounds Japanese

3. kardinalisimo

I guess it is more like Northwest. Can we tell something about the tribe affiliation by the attire, unless a fantasy image?

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Yes; we can tell that this is for sure not Northwest.
    Plains, or SW, maybe, I'm not very familiar with dance attire from those areas. I'd guess maybe Oklahoma.....but not NW.
    There does appear to be a Sumiko Hulett living in Oklahoma.....
    Unless more information can be found, the most that can be said is that it depicts a Native American dancer; but is not necessarily by a Native American.
    I found a reference to a possible sale of a similar painting, but could not get the link to open. Maybe others will have better luck.
    http://www.homebrewguyjd.com/Oil-American.html

Taupou, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

The clothing looks Lakota or Arapaho to me, but I am NOT an expert

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Parker

Parker New Member

I just saw this post, do you still have the painting, where did you acquire it.

I am somewhat familiar with the painting and Sumiko.

If I see a response post then I can post more info.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity why not just post the info you have anyways? Even if OP is gone this is a pretty curious community. I know I now want to know more about it!

9. kardinalisimo

Being sold since then.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I do think it would be nice to learn more about Sumiko and the painting even if it has been sold.

11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's a lovely painting and I'd sure like to know more about it and the artist ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  12. Parker

Parker New Member

Kardinalisimo, thank you very much for the post, the artist is my sweet sister-in-law Sumiko Hulett. My favorite brother was married to her before he passed away.

My brother served in the Air Force until he retired. While he was in the Air Force he met Sumiko during an assignment in Japan sometime I believe in the late 1950’s.

Sumiko is Japanese, she painted the painting in the early 1980’s and gave it to me around the mid 1980’s.

Sumiko was an active artist during that time in the Oklahoma City Metro area and a very gracious lady.

The painting disappeared from my residence in the early 1990’s while I lived in Oklahoma City, OK. I was amazed to see it again after so many years and so sad now to learn it has been sold.

I will probably have to accept that our family will never see the painting again which makes me very sad. Thank you again for the post it was so nice to see the painting looking great as I remember it when it was in my home.

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

14. kardinalisimo

Thanks for the interesting info.
    What does it mean disappeared, like was it stolen? Is it possible there were more than one similar paintings?

2manybooks and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Parker

Parker New Member

Thank you for the kind comments. Sumiko only painted one original of the painting that she created.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Christmasjoy

She certainly had a very delicate hand ... the painting is beautiful ... Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted