Featured Native American Pottery Acoma?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by kraftblue, Jun 20, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up a nice pot. Stands 4" tall. Unmarked on base. Maybe this is Acoma?

na1.JPG na2.JPG na3.JPG na4.JPG na5.JPG na6.JPG na7.JPG

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not Acoma. Possibly Santo Domingo. With so much wear on the bottom, it might have been marked in the beginning.
    @Taupou?

judy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, kraft.
    That is what I thought. It reminds me of a small Santo Domingo pot I have.

judy likes this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It appears to be Jemez, from Jemez Pueblo, north of Albuquerque. It probably dates to the 1960s, or newer, since it appears to be decorated with acrylic paint, which tends to chip over time. Acrylics became available to publo potters in the 1960s, along with a "revival" of interest in pottery at Jemez. Jemez potters for awhile tended to copy design patterns from other pueblos, or incorporate elements of them in their pottery, since they had pretty much lost any traditional styles of their own.

I don't think the abrasion on the bottom is natural, or due to age. It looks more like it was deliberately done, perhaps to remove a signature, or other marking, based on the tiny black lines that remain.

judy, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Taupou, you got me checking another pot I have, and yes, that one is from Jemez. It is signed P Tosa, at least I think it is a P. I think I bought it in the late 70s. Does the name ring any bells?

judy likes this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The bold, black designs do have a similarity to Santo Domingo (now Kewa) pottery, but Kewa tends to feature stylized flower and leaf patterns, and rarely, if ever, the fine-line hatching. That's why this bowl looks like a combination of borrowed patterns, and could be mistaken for Acoma or Kewa, depending on what part of the pot you're looking at, which, along with the clay body color itself, points to Jemez.

Kewa clay fires tends to fire red, Acoma is white. The base color here is Jemez cream or buff.

judy and 2manybooks like this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

There are three Jemez potters that could have possibly made your pot: Persingula Tosa, Phyllis Tosa, and another potter who only signed "P. Tosa." All were working in the 1970s.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Taupou.:)

judy likes this.
  9. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Thanks 2many, Any and Taupou

2manybooks, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted