Native American Print By Lowery Begay

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 18, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

0FACB4F8-A10D-410C-9588-8F1AB5755CA4.jpeg 7906E41B-7F28-4194-9FAC-A2D2D4116FA5.jpeg Trying to find some info on the artist. There is a NA dancer by that name but don’t know if he is an artist as well.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Begay is a Navajo surname, if that helps.
    I'm guessing it portrays an NA soldier whose native name is Shadowhawk (translated). In US service, obviously.:D

i need help likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

The hoop dancer Begay served in the US Army so it would makes sense but I find nothing on him beeing a visual artist.

AnnaJ and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I think just about half the Navajo nation is called Begay, so it probably isn't the hoop dancer. Was he ever in The Netherlands? I seem to remember a Navajo hoop dancer with surname Begay performing here.

AnnaJ likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

According to Google he’s well known.

AnnaJ likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

So I noticed. He is on facebook, maybe there is more info there. I'm not, so I can't check.

AnnaJ likes this.
  7. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

He travels the world. Lowery lives in America and yes this is the world famous Navajo hoop dancer's piece of art work. He is a visual artist, plays guitar, plays flute, writes music, and educates .

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

The artist is the Native Navajo World Hoop championship dancer. He does visual arts as well as plays guitar, native flute, writes music, teaches, he travels the world hoop dancing. Lowery resides in Tennessee. He did open aa hoop store (I believe it is still open). He was a soldier in the US Army. The soldier in the print looks to be Lowery.

2manybooks likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Anna, and welcome to the forum.

AnnaJ likes this.
  10. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

11. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

Your welcome.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

I can ask him

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

I cannot spell or say ever remember how to say his native name...but it means "Boy that wonders"

Figtree3, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Very kind of you to offer, Anna. I don't know if @kardinalisimo still has the print or needs the info, but he can tell you himself when he checks in later.:)

AnnaJ likes this.
  15. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

He said:
    "Shadow Hawk" is what he used to write on all his prints. It was a nickname that was given to him. The print is called "respect, honor, and pride"

16. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

If you are still wondering about the artist...his is the world native hoops champion, visual artist, plays guitar and native flute, writes native music. The print is called "respect,honor, and pride". "Shadow Hawk" is what he used to sign on all of his prints. It was a nickname given to him

Jivvy, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Thank you Anna. I think you should tag kardinalisimo or quote one of his posts regarding that info.
    I am just one of the many other forum members, the print is not mine, but his.

2manybooks and AnnaJ like this.
  18. AnnaJ

AnnaJ New Member

Your welcome. Hahaha. I keep thinking I have responded to his post. Yet, keeps going every where but him. I apologize. I will figure this out.

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.:) Kardinalisimo has been tagged, I'm sure he will be here later.

AnnaJ likes this.
  20. kardinalisimo

Here am I:)
    Thanks AnnaJ for solving the mystery.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted