Featured Native American Spoon or just somebody whittlin' ?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by bosko69, Jun 2, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Hello all Tribal Art aficionados.Here's a 13 1/2'' long wooden (not horn) spoon my wife picked up Goodwill ages ago.I couldn't say if it's Native American or something made in Appalachia or the Czech Republic.It reminds me of something that might have been made by a upper Midwestern Tribe somewhere the Great Lakes-but your speculations and expertise are much greater than mine.Thanks a ton for any feedback-just jump on in,all opinions welcome.
    PS-Sorry for the large amount of pics-didn't know what clues or details you might need.
    PSS- I grew up in Pomo Country (Sonoma County),if anybody wants to leave me some Pomo or Miwok Baskets in their Will-I'm your man (yuck-yuck). SPN1.jpg SPN3.jpg SPN4.jpg SPN7.jpg SPN8.jpg SPN9.jpg SPN10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2022
  2. bosko69

HEY-How do I delete some of these PICS-too many duplicates,holy @*%! Very sorry abt that....

judy likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Ive deleted duplicates

Lucille.b, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. bosko69

Dear Moderator (w/ the cute doggie)-Thanks for all the help w/ those dupe pics.Any tips on how not to do it again-don't want to waste these good folks time.

5. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I don't think it's Czech...

It might be Alaskan, but others will know a lot more than me.

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  6. bosko69

Thanks Pottery for the feedback-The only reason i posited Czech was the 'chip' zigzag carving on the handle,but it's a basic motif in many cultures.Love that Avatar image-snake ?

Lucille.b, judy and Potteryplease like this.
  7. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Yes--avanyu (SW water serpent)

stracci, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  8. bosko69

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Don’t click full image on each photo, just the one on top.

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It isn't in the style of any Northwest Coast or Alaskan Native spoons with which I am familiar- that is, not Kwakiutl, Tsimshian, Tlingit, Haida, and I wouldn't think Coast Salish or Nuh-chah-nulth either. Possibly midwestern.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oddly I was thinking Norway or similar. The chip carving turns up in Scandinavia, Poland, Russia etc, and there's what looks like a whale on the back. The dude at the top does make me wonder.

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was thinking Philippines. Except, is that a snowman on one side?

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would also lean toward Scandinavian, or some other northern European coastal culture (perhaps around the Baltic). The animal on the handle looks like it might be a seal. And the woman depicted on the side is wearing a European style skirt. The basic shape also looks more European than NA, as well as the chip carving on the bottom, as @evelyb30 noted.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

now , that's a spoon full !!
    the chip carving and hook at the back of the handle remind me of Woodlands 1st Nations.....
    spoon also looks maple...

but I can't say it is for sure.....:(

15. bosko69

Thanks All !-I think (if indeed Amerindian) Woodlands 1st Nation.But then so many indigenous peoples have shared motifs thru the millennia-the exquisite mystery of art and craft,the hunt & mystery is the best part of the antique game !

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

not mine, but I have one of these..... Yugoslavian Duck bowls...

the chip carving threw me off for years, until I tracked down the proper attribution..

just saying...

17. bosko69

Slavic, Czech,Lithuanian,Scandinavian-so much in common.All feedback welcome.Thanks Komokwa.
    PS-Always wished they would have done another 'Mystery Men',think about it whenever I see Hank Azaria or Garofolo.

komokwa and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted