Featured Navajo Teapot?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Jan 16, 2022.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    This is up for sale on an on-line auction, paper label rather than marked on the piece. It is 1/2"H, a mini teapot, the turquoise piece is stone. Looking on-line, I see many similar but all are marked on the piece rather than a paper label.
    Could this be Navajo? I've looked for the maker, not finding any for the initials shown. The photos are from the auction
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    272023349_1124591925014697_8110759906530286262_n.jpg 271941807_1124649631675593_8735338048227156334_n.jpg

Any Jewelry, judy, dude and 5 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

In order for you to sell it as Navajo, it would have to be marked as such, I think. At least in the US. Don't know your rules in Canada.

judy, dude, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

My wife has a similar one stamped W.K.W. Sterling (Wesley K. Whitman, Navajo)

Any Jewelry, judy, dude and 5 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Somehow Navajo Teapot sounds like the name of a band. Probably influenced by Aztec Two-Step.

Marks could be under that great big label, which might have been put there to make it consistent with others for sale or in collection. Could be.

6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

My wife says it's certainly Navajo, and I have a thought about that tiny label.

It's the only place to put a price sticker on. There seems to be some kind of writing on its center that has disappeared. It's really to small to print that on .25" label. I have seen very thin labels age in a way that the glue makes start to look translucent. I suggest we are seeing the stamped mark under this thin label. Also, the look of the letters are consistent with stamped marks.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 7.05.41 PM.png

judy, dude, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't break the bank...it's not a masterwork...:sorry::yawn::yawn:

Figtree3, reader, judy and 4 others like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I have to go dig out my dollhouse stuff and see if I still have mine that was very much like this. its too adorable.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies folks:)
    thanks bakers:) It has to have the word 'Navajo' on it? I thought it just had to be signed by a known/legit Navajo artist

thanks Holly

lol Bronwen:) you could be right about marks under the label

thanks Roaring:) so 2 for marks under the label. You have good eyes, I never noticed the marks in the centre of the label

thanks komokwa:) will see how the bidding is towards the end as to whether I bid or not

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    judy, dude, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks johnny:)

judy and dude like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Of that level of detail I am uncertain, cxgirl. There have been a number of discussions regarding Native American items and being able to know the tribe of origin with certainty. But whether there is an alternative to marking the item itself with the tribe name such as you describe is a question for someone more experienced on the subject than me, I'm afraid.

cxgirl, judy, dude and 1 other person like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it just has to be signed by a known/legit Navajo artist

Figtree3, reader, all_fakes and 5 others like this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

judy, Bronwen and dude like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I covet that.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

My understanding of the 1990 law is that it has to be signed if it’s post 1934 and that name has to be attributed to a specific tribe. The tribe itself does not have to be stamped on the piece, only the name. I know the pot is Navajo but can’t be attributed unless you can identify it. It’s a cutie. If you can carefully remove the label, it may be stamped underneath and save your pictures just in case. On the other hand, anyone collecting those will be able to spot it immediately as Southwestern Sterling Silver Stamping Mini Teapot Turquoise

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Has the auction ended yet? Did you bid?

bercrystal likes this.
  17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Welp,I spent hours digging thru my dollhouse stuff ( I REALLY need to get them set back up!) and I found the set I was referencing.My memory was a bit off as they dont really match yours except for the blue stones. Blame the partying I did in the 80s! But since it took quite the effort,Im going to show yall anyway. :) [​IMG]

bercrystal, komokwa, reader and 3 others like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Cute, Johnny!

bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Johnny, that's a mini Arts and Crafts one. Elements of Dresser.

bercrystal likes this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Yours are from a Mexican set, Johnny - typically only the tray is marked. Below is my full set, before and after polishing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted