Featured Naval Gun Factory Band photo and ephemera

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Born2it, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

The first photograph is of the Naval Gun Factory Band, and is almost - or just barely - an antique, as I am almost positive it dates from the first quarter of the 1900’s. I apologize for the lack of pictures of the back, but I’m scared to take it out of the frame at the moment. If you zoom in, you should just barely see a handwritten note on where “Chas” is.

The second is a closeup of my Great Uncle Charlie.

The third is a newspaper article about him.

The fourth is his grave.

I have two questions.
    1) The photograph is *not* for sale, but as much as my family treasures it, I would think other descendants of band members might like a good quality scan. Any suggestions for making this happen are very welcome.
    2) The photograph was framed without glass, and could really use a cleaning, but I haven’t a clue how to go about it.

I - and the photograph - are currently in the Atlanta area.

As a total newbie, I hope this post is acceptable for this forum, and any corrections will be kindly received.

2C88CCD0-E63E-4AB3-ACFF-1F06F1991082.jpeg 3D189E49-66C0-40CD-BADE-04E908143AD7.png FEFE0DF8-EE51-4AB4-A0BD-963B3FA480CE.jpeg 405446EC-18B3-4256-8502-DDF8B65EFFED.png

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, from what you're saying, it sounds like YOU don't have a printer that has a scanner?? AND, WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!! OR, how about friends, do any have a decent printer with a scanner?? If not, there are other options, but starting with a good quality scan, I think would be a must......wait for others to chime in.....I'm tagging another member....your post is fine I think....you're just asking questions at this point!! @moreotherstuff

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't have a scanner or a printer. I take my stuff to the local library where they have both. How big is this photo? Things of this ilk can be quite large.

I know that there are reproductions of old photos available online. No idea at all how well they sell.

Aquitaine, Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And also there are people who are in business to make high-quality scans of photographs. They can also correct any damage to the photos. This one appears to be in good condition.

There is no safe way to clean the surface of an old photograph such as this. When somebody scans it they can edit the scan to take away most or all of the soiling. I recommend that you find a professional, unless you have a friend or relative who has the skill to do professional-level work. That's a nice photo!

Bakersgma, Aquitaine and Born2it like this.
  5. Born2it

I do have access to a scanner, but as you guessed it is just a tiny bit too big for a basic home scanner. Also, I’m not wild about the idea of putting it on a hard surface while it’s so dirty.

I hadn’t thought about selling prints - thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking more in terms of sharing something cool with people who would appreciate it. Emailing scans, or posting online for people to grab.

I did send a low resolution shot to a website about the band, but that won’t blow up into anything good.

thanks!

6. Born2it

Thank you!

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just out of curiosity, is that photo bigger than 8 1/2" X 11", i.e. a regular piece of printing paper???

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Your local library may have a large format scanner. Worth checking out.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I would consider a photo....not a scan..

Draft saved Draft deleted