Featured Navy blue older plastic. Bakelite?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Jan 21, 2021.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

B0CAAF76-C410-41E3-B19A-CE15C16A53BB.jpeg 06B08851-C5B7-426E-95ED-389298647BB3.jpeg 988C5049-66DE-41A9-9CB7-6F03D547F34C.jpeg

Approx 2 3/8” long and a dark or navy blue. I never know if these are dress, fur or shoe clips. I’ve rarely ever had a matching set.

I tried simichrome which did not turn the color I expected but rather looked like it took a layer of the blue off. It did not damage anything. I also used 409 and I thought I saw a very light hint of the orange tinge but I think I just wanted to see it

what are these? I really thought they were Bakelite.
    Thank you for any help.

Vic23, Vintage Maven, stracci and 2 others like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Dress clips. Fur clips have 2 prongs, like 2 pin stems. Shoe clips are much shorter, maybe about 1/4" long. Think about it, if you put those dress clips on your shoes the end would stick into you toes, would be very uncomfortable and probably ruin your stockings!

The way the hardware is attached looks good.

Yes, Bakelite came in dark blues, including navy

3. gauntlettgems

4. gauntlettgems

@Marie Forjan how come it didn’t test like it’s supposed to with both tests? Any ideas? Just trying to understand Thank you so very much

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Maybe the navy blue is like black Bakelite, that usually doesn't test positive either. Did you try the hot water test to see if it smells like Bakelite?

6. gauntlettgems

I’m going to again but my sense of smell is bad. I have yet to ever smell it on any piece. Weirdest thing yet, I have a black piece I got with this blue set that did test with simichrome. I expected it not to because of this rule. Go figure!!

judy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agree on dress clips, fur has long prongs, shoes would not be curved like that.

gauntlettgems and judy like this.
  8. Vic23

Vic23 Member

So pretty.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  9. gauntlettgems

Ty!

Draft saved Draft deleted