Featured Necklace to discover

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Willcpfc, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Willcpfc

Willcpfc Well-Known Member

Good evening,

I have this necklace. What I do know is the only marking is Sterling on the chain catch. It is possible that the blue stones with gold highlights are antiquity due to them coming from an inheritance that came with a few other pieces from Roman origin. The necklace was obviously produced to house the stones.

If anyone can point me in a direction to research, it would be much appreciated. IMG20201225213407_compress86.jpg IMG20201226213603_compress39.jpg IMG20201226213822_compress6.jpg

kyratango, stracci, judy and 7 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Can we see the whole thing? It looks like someone took found bits and made jewelry out of them. Or made jewelry to look like it was made of found bits.

judy, KSW, TraceyB and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The stones look old Indian cut, but those central pieces look Egyptian faience. Odd. Chain looks almost Indian again, the pendant setting with those balls European.

@Any Jewelry ?

stracci, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The incised turquoises look like talismans/amulets. They do not look Roman or Egyptian to me. Iran was an ancient source of turquoise. Would not be surprised if they originated in that part of the world.

The way they are mismatched makes me think the gemstones surrounding the main turquoise are real emeralds & tourmalines (?) The style is vaguely Renaissance to me, which is not to say it was made then.

What is the back of the large stone like? (Photo would be best.) Can we see the clasp for the chain? As already requested, can we see the entire necklace? Have you already had this to a jeweller?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can we see the clasp please?

judy, KSW, TraceyB and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The green stones look like peridot.

judy, TraceyB, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  7. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

It is really cool at any rate

judy, TraceyB, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  8. Willcpfc

Thank you for all the replies, very useful.

The piece is certainly bespoke to display the central stones, as is clear by the smaller stone being set in an irregular shaped bezel.

I have included a couple of extra shots for further detail. IMG_20210102_104552_compress91.jpg IMG_20210102_104615_compress22.jpg IMG_20210102_104640_compress3.jpg

9. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting thread. Thanks for sharing :)

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Will. That is an amazing and unusual necklace. It looks like an Arts & Crafts necklace to me, with an Orientalist theme.
    I agree, but I think Iran's neighbour and close relative, Afghanistan, another 'stone country'.
    Certainly could be. Possibly emeralds and rubies.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, when that full image got posted I did wonder if it might be Afghan.

12. Willcpfc

Thank you for the reply. It is a puzzle to me. The chain links between the two stones are very fine quality, whereas the set stones are very irregular - not to say crude but non uniform as can be seen in the bezel they are set in. The central stones must have some significance for them to have made this piece - it is unfortunate there is no markings to help identify with.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like a local silversmith had the chain and made the rest.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted