Featured necklace w/large carved ?amethyst? stone & carved beads--Any info appreciated

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by antique85, Jul 24, 2021.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and judy like this.
  3. antique85

Thank you for taking the time to suggest rose quartz. I will research this. I realized something was wrong with the photos, and I uploaded some better ones.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and judy like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The large stone could be amethyst, there is something at the 4 o'clock position but the lighting is dark and photo too blurry.

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

That looks like Chinese carving, I see too a Chinese carved quartz Shou bead near the amethyst center plaque...
    Maybe old Chinese components restrung!

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think Kyra is right, Chinese carving.

Bronwen, kyratango and antique85 like this.
  7. antique85

Thank you for pointing out he photos are dark and blurry. I am going to take some more.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  8. i need help

@antique85
    You should be able to make changes to your first post, now.

Bronwen, kyratango and antique85 like this.
  9. antique85

I added better quality photos to first post. Apologies for the poor photos. Moderator: Thank you for letting me edit it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Bronwen, kyratango and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

11. antique85

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to find this and posting it. It looks just like my necklace. The description is very helpful: "hand-carved in a geometric design. The alternating beads of natural rose quartz and amethyst come together in a clasp of carved amethyst depicting peaches". I can't believe the price $2300!!

12. antique85

I researched this necklace for "sold" prices, but there are very few of these necklaces anywhere and none in the sold listings on ebay.

Many of the listings mention "shou" beads, which I researched. I found this website's picture and definition to be useful: "https://www.symbols.com/symbol/shou":
    "The design itself is based on a peach pit and is associated with the god Shou Hsing, who governs longevity."

I did find a similar necklace on Rubylane that sold, but can't figure out how to find the selling price. "https://www.rubylane.com/item/869260-N1081C/Art-Deco-Sterling-Carved-Amethyst-Rose"

Here is one similar one on ebay selling for $400: "https://www.ebay.com/itm/264693149805".

And one on Rubylane with some defects selling for $400: "https://www.rubylane.com/item/18146...thyst-Carved-Carving-Shou?search=1&t=5ee2da55"

I am curious why the 1stdibs one is so expensive. The description stresses hand carving but can you really tell for sure it is hand carved?
    Thank you.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It depends on their definition of hand carved,the piece was probably hand held and a powered wheel used to carve the piece.

kyratango, komokwa and antique85 like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I am curious why the 1stdibs one is so expensive........:eek:

it's not........but someone.....who searched for hours and hours, and could not find another one like it on the whole internet, wants to separate you from your hard earned money,,,,...!:vomit:

Or...it could be the description.....that details it'a awesomeness in an effort to imply that , the buyer will most certainly end up with a family heirloom the will be cherished for generations....:yuck:

"This is a sensuous and fine 18 ½ inch necklace of hand-carved amethyst and rose quartz from the Art Deco era. Crafted entirely by hand in China during the 1920s or 1930s, each approximately 11mm bead was painstakingly hand-carved in a geometric design. The alternating beads of natural rose quartz and amethyst come together in a clasp of carved amethyst depicting peaches, which are associated with longevity and even immortality, in Chinese symbolism. The carving is secured by four double-prongs atop a silver frame. "Sterling" is marked on the tongue of the clasp but there is no maker's mark, which is common in antique Chinese jewelry. This carving measures 38.16mm x 24.24mm The beads are in remarkably fine condition and present without cracks, defects or damage. Likewise, the oval carving of peaches is pristine. Both the amethyst beads and carving display a gorgeous vivid purple color with subtle flashes of red when the light strikes. The pink quartz beads are light natural pink color. Chinese Art Deco carved quartz jewelry —when it's done well— is exquisite but it is also frequently heartbreaking because inevitably, there is a chipped bead or two. But not here. This necklace is in excellent condition and has been freshly restrung on thick and sturdy black silk and knotted between each bead."
    This is a colorful and unique necklace for someone who appreciates the fact that a lifetime of lapidary artistry and skill along with untold hours were required to create this Art Deco jewel.

Try pricing yours to sell at $3000......& who knows?;)....maybe u get lucky..

antique85, kyratango and Pat Dennis like this.
  15. antique85

Thank you for pointing this out. What a description! I am going to follow your advice and first try a high price.
    But ...wondering...could someone really know if -- "crafted entirely by hand" "painstakingly hand-carved"

16. komokwa

no.....they couldn't..........but a flowery description is being used to sell the item...so who's to say what they know..!!!

( other than , they are a fast talker....! ) ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

reader and antique85 like this.
  17. antique85

Thank you for everyone who posted information. I appreciate it. Regarding my selling description, if anyone has any ideas about the image on the pendant, and if white beads could be pearls--I would appreciate it. For the necklace on 1stdibs, the pendant's image is peaches 1abeads copy.jpg 1a use stone.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    kyratango likes this.
  18. antique85

I wonder if would be "ok" to refer to the 1stdibs necklace in my description and point out what it sold for/is selling for. I don't really know if this is acceptable for sellers to do.

19. komokwa

I , for one , do not think that's a good idea...

Here...most folks who frequent estate..or yard or ebay sales....go nuts when the seller says...." Look what they're asking for it ....over here....or look what it sold for on this site !! "

20. antique85

Komokwa: Thank you very much for letting me know this!! I had no idea this was the case!

reader, kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted