Featured Necklace with Claw, Bone, Silver Charms

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by drg642, Jul 2, 2020.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I believe the dangles are real claws, possibly bone mounted in silver, and the center one is silver. The chain is not silver, but all the rest of the metal is silver.
    Interested in origins, materials, age of this necklace. And, do you think it is original, or constructed from a chain and separate elements?
    Thanks!

claw1.JPG
    claw2.JPG

2. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Not my area of expertise... but what a cool necklace! Do the two cone shaped ones "open"? Does the dangle on the left have slits that lead to an open area inside.... like if the end opens; you could put something smelly inside?? Can you tell what the dangle on the right is made of?? I don't know about the claws... they look "shaped" to me. My gut feeling is that it was all made to work together... I love the piece at any rate! Can hardly wait to hear what everyone else thinks!! Leslie

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

The cone shaped dangles don't open, and the carved lines don'e go all the way through.
    I don't know what they are made of, they feel like a natural material, maybe wood, but I don't think so.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Nice! @Any Jewelry will be able to tell you much more than I can but I think they’re all Asian talismans/good luck charms and they look to have some age to me. The non claw shapes remind me of prayer wheels or some similar religious objects.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am sorry, I have no idea. Maybe it helps if we know how big the claws are, so someone can identify the animal they are from?

KSW likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the Mayas used jaguar claws as sign of strength etc,

KSW likes this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Just about every culture used claws as a sign of strength, power, status etc. at some stage.

KSW and reader like this.
  9. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comments and ideas. The claws are about 1.5 inches long. Here are some better photos.
    clw1.JPG
    clw2.JPG
    clw3.JPG

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Thanks. I don't know if they are actual claws. They could be carved blonde buffalo horn. Maybe South Asia: India or Sri Lanka?

What do you think about the claws @komokwa ?:)

KSW likes this.
  11. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I agree. The horizontal lines on the side of one claw in your last photo is suspicious. Plus, they have a squared off shape, which is strange.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ya, they're in the shape of claws......but don't pass the muster for real claws...

but they do have a natural material look...so shaped horn......could be spot on..!

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. komokwa

14. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Agree, they don't look like real claws.

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the real bear ones came up in the 60s with the hippies. as were all kinds of American Indian jewellery. especially after Wounded Knee in 1973 they became a sign of freedom and self-determination.
    the only ones that come out of Asia are the usual krapp on Ali-Baboon and other platforms.

reader likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Most Native American claw jewellery is Navajo, and they were making it before 1973.
    These are Asian, I wouldn't call them 'krap' in any way:

[​IMG]
    https://www.rom.on.ca/en/blog/new-to-rom-tiger-claw-necklace

[​IMG]
    https://www.abrandtandson.com/products/victorian-raj-18kt-gold-repousse-tiger-claw-necklace

[​IMG]

drg, this style is why I thought your necklace could be South Asian. Two of your 'claws' have similar caps in silver:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.abrandtandson.com/products/1-victorian-raj-14kt-gold-tiger-claw-pendant

17. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Lovely examples AJ, thank you. I see what you mean about the caps on the claws.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

A true, traditionalist Navajo person would not make jewelry using bear claws. The bear is a revered personage, and accorded the reverence and respect of a sacred being. As a Navajo jeweler once told me, "I would no more wear a bear claw around my neck, than I would wear a necklace made from my grandfather's fingers."

The majority of "Navajo bear claw" jewelry is made by non-Navajo tribes/cultures for whom the bear is viewed differently, or by non-Native Americans, or it is imported from other countries.

Any Jewelry and Fid like this.
  19. komokwa

upload_2020-7-5_11-59-50.jpeg

The NWC 1st Nations revered the bear as a high born ancestor ...

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  20. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Great info. Thank you so much everyone, appreciate your time in posting links and providing explanations. I am always grateful that board members here are willing to share their considerable expertise.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted