need advice/history on collectible

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by daniel, Jan 22, 2015.

1. daniel

daniel New Member

not sure about the history on this collectible all i know is our family bought it 57 years ago in torquay, devon UK in an antique shop and not many were made. found out by the ebay antique community that it has a karl ens stamp, but they could not give much history about it either. approximately 7 inches from nose to tail, 4 inches from feet to body and the body is about 3 inches in width i've added photos below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

does anyone out there know anything about this lion??

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

3. daniel

daniel New Member

yes that is a posting of mine, still no closer to finding out it's history though, and i agree the detail is spectacular

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Rontgen lists 4 marks for this company and they're willing to put more restricted dates on three of them, but this mark apparently spans the history of the company 1898-1972. Your family history puts this no later than the 1950s. This figurine is the type of thing Ens did, and production of a popular item could continue for decades. The modelling of this is not sufficiently distinctive to suggest a stylistic period to me. Apart from saying its from the 1950s or earlier, you may not be able to find anything more specific.

afantiques likes this.
  5. daniel

daniel New Member

It was a limited edition collectible item. Just cant seem to find another image of it on the web and its bugging me

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

How do you know it was a limited edition item?

7. daniel

daniel New Member

My grandmother has told me that the antique shop owner said it was a limited edition collectible when they bought it in 1964 in Devon. Spent 3 weeks wages on it.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a lot of money.

9. daniel

daniel New Member

In those days it was yes

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

If the shop owner had any evidence it was a limited edition, he would surely have given it to them. You can't call it such based on what he said in his sales pitch.

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3 weeks wages is a lot of money for anyone ...at any time in history, to purchase a little porcelain figure.

& 57 years ago was not 1964.

and Janet makes a good point.

12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I don't think Ens made any "limited edition" items per se. Maybe they made rather fewer of some figures than others but not limited editions.

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

My grandmother has told me that the antique shop owner said it was a limited edition collectible when they bought it in 1964 in Devon. Spent 3 weeks wages on it.

Almost invariably, ANYTHING produced as a limited edition collectable item and called just that has no special value after 50 years. Once the hype evaporates ant the fashion moves on, things are just what they are and are valued accordingly. Fancy plates, ceramic lions or Beanie Babies, it's all the same in the long run. After a while, the merit of the article as art or artifact is the sole determinant of desirability.

PS I have never heard of this maker in decades of haunting auction rooms. I'll admit that I was not looking for ceramics, but to me this animal looks like Beswick.

Plus it is not unknown for antique dealers to say absolutely anything, mores the pity, or to have shops stuffed with brand new off the boat 'antiques' to sell to the unwary.

gregsglass and komokwa like this.
  14. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Ens makes nice birds.

My wife likes birds.

Looks like Ens is still doing OK.

15. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the op's is much nicer......but that's still good info Lady !!

17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  18. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

The lion mold looks like a copy of the French sculpture by Bayre. I think the actually title was something like "Aging Lion".

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I`ve never heard of ENS either.
    When I saw the item I immediatley thought Royal Dux.

9076308_1_l.jpg

20. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It does remind me of Beswick in the quality of the sculpting and coloring.
    (A few years back after my Mom passed away I was selling a bunch of her stuff, including a Beswick ceramic cow that she had always said was very valuable. The Beswick collector's guide had a suggested value of $800. I sold it on ebay to a collector in the UK, for $825. Mom was right!)
    It is certainly worthwhile to do one's research.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted