Need advice on how to clean/polish this 2-tiered brass stand

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Grateful, May 30, 2020.

1. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

Hello again! Of course, I'm looking for advice - specifically how would you clean/polish this piece? I wouldn't know EXACTLY what to call it, but it's brass, has differing numbers on the female "legs" than the shelves, and it just spoke to me. I gave it a light wash with diluted Dawn and a soft toothbrush to get off the outer layer of dirt & grime. Legs are attached with brass screws and I see no other markings. About 18" high. The bottom shelf is in pretty good shape, however the top one obviously needs some TLC. I think is so cool and would like to think I can polish it to look presentable. Any ideas? TIA.

IMG_0492.jpg IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg

Any Jewelry, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To me, it's a pretty little brass (as you said) corner shelf/stand!!! What I'd do to clean/polish it up might be very different from what should be done, so I'll wait to see what others say!!!! Is that a kind of green I'm seeing on mostly the top of it?? I'm sure others will have some valid suggestions!!!

3. Grateful

It does have a greenish cast, which I THINK must be due to the copper content of the brass causing a reaction.

4. Aquitaine

And I'm thinking you're probably correct...the green being verdigris...a corrosion....but other members will suggest the best way to clean it without doing damage or further damage.... @pearlsnblume, @Bakersgma, @i need help ....just tagging some others so they'll pop in!!

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You might start with a stiff scrub brush.

Aquitaine, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Wear a mask - verdigris can be toxic.

That thing is gorgeous! The depth of the design is something not seen too often...

7. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I would be tempted to unscrew it into its constituent parts and scrub them in a bath of vinegar. Then rinse under the tap then scrub again to get all the brasso residual out of the crevices. Then polish with a soft scrubbing brush and a low residual polish available in your area. Not sure what you have over there but others will advise. Wash out the polish with soap and water and let dry. When each part is finished spray with a clear corrosion proofing coat varnish/lacquer etc. Re-assemble and enjoy smelling like a bag of fish and chips for a day or so.:D

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Victorian corner plant stand.
    Very nice.

You could try ketchup

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

If you do take it apart, I’d swap the shelves after you clean. ;)

10. Grateful

Good plan!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, Grateful.
    Yes, it is verdigris, copper oxidation. Like rust, except on metals containing copper.;) I notice it is on one of the feet as well.
    Vinegar works well. Ketchup works too because it contains vinegar and stays in place more easily.
    So would I. Even if you remove the verdigris, you could be left with some darker spots. Putting the good one on top and putting something nice on the 'ex-verdigris' shelf will make the stand look perfect.:)

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

14. Grateful

I'd love to own that one, but I think this one I found is most identical:

Vintage-3-TIER-BRASS-PLANT-STANDTable-Ornate-French (1).jpg

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

In the link that SIS provided, I see I said lemon and salt.
    I have used that and it works well. Comes out very bright.

With so many crevices, you need to make sure you rinse completely and not leave any residue behind.

Aquitaine, Grateful and i need help like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Brilliant idea....who knew they might be swappable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need help likes this.
  17. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Grateful, Break out the mask or hold your breath, do it outside , SHOWER POWER, the one with the acid . eye protection and gloves . Old toothbrushes. lots of water and baking soda after to neutralize . do it where you don't care if the grass dies, the cement is etched , or buy a cheap plastic kids pool ..... works wonders, just need to be safe . don't ever mix cleaners ..... BLEACH AND ACID ARE VERY TOXIC TOGETHER .....

Bar Keeper's Friend Cleanser is a good mild abrasive , you can also make less hazardous acidic cleaners ...have a look here in these search results . I always used the shower power on brass with a lot of corrosion, it gets right to work .

https://www.google.com/search?q=bra.....69i57j0l7.5114j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I’m not suggesting you do this, but it’s more a question for this knowledgeable group. Why wouldn’t you use a Cape Code cloth? Too abrasive? It would have a reaction with the metal? Because there’s a lot of surface area?

It’s a beautiful stand. The suggestion to swap shelves is excellent. Enjoy!

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've never heard of Cape Cod cloth, and am interested in hearing what was done with the stand, eventually. Also am interested in knowing the answers to your questions, @Sedona