Featured Need an I.D. for a small chrome desk clock with a butterfly makers mark.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, May 28, 2018.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Does anyone know a clock manufacturer who used a butterfly as
    a trademark on the dial? Think it is a butterfly but could be a four leaf clover.
    Data
    about 8 cm high

Cheers
    Stephen

PICT0015.JPG PICT0016.JPG PICT0017.JPG PICT0018.JPG PICT0019.JPG

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It appears to be a cheap desk timepiece from the 1950s. I don't think the maker is of any significance.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would be so happy to give that clock a really good cleaning and hopefully get it working.
    greg

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  4. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Agree with butterfly. Maybe try “spotlight shaped” search term.

kyratango likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

In my opinion it dates to 1900 - 1930, due to design and it appears to be nickle plated. Access to the movement would help I.D maker. Germany made large quantities of these desk clocks ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I’m slightly curious regarding what was in the hole on top, maybe just another screw holding the shell on. I’ve noticed that the maker didn’t take the trouble to make complete cylinders for the clock body, they just wrapped a rectangular sheet of metal around and secured it near the ends with two screws! That’s a bit unusual but is a low-cost way of making the body.

7. Miscstuff

Found a Kienzle clock very similar.
    kienzle.jpg
    Will have to open it up tomorrow and check for more info.
    Cheers
    Stephen

komokwa likes this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I'm just curious but . . . does the clock face and/or do the numerals and/or hands glow in the dark?

Christmasjoy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Agree with definitely a butterfly.......and VERY COOL that you found a clock almost identical!!!!!!!

zPICT0016aaa.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

“Found a Kienzle clock very similar.”

But is it red underneath?

Hey, why bother them with stupid questions about meaningless stuff? Get a life!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Miscstuff

No.
    Don't know. The sold listing did not show the bottom view.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fine-Antique-German-Miniature-Art-Deco-Kienzle-Chrome-Swivel-Table-Desk-Clock-/232736745980?hash=item363030e9fc:g:-z4AAOSwf7Ja1SwR&nma=true&si=5dCH5geznmzb2akZlfvFgrMO5as%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Once I've finished my wake-up coffee I'll open her up and
    get a few more pictures.
    Cheers
    Stephen

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  12. Miscstuff

Alas. No good news. Only the number 29 and a broken spring are evident. At least the dial is in good condition so there is hope for it yet.
    Cheers
    Stephen
    PICT0001.JPG PICT0003.JPG

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

This is what is commonly referred to as an insertion movement. They were made in a few standard sizes and sold to people who wanted to make clocks to retail but could not be bothered to make their own movements.
    It was far cheaper to use a standard movement.
    The spring could be replaced, but it would be a labour of love, not a viable commercial proposition as the clock would be worth less than the cost of paying for a repair.
    Or at least the repair of the original movement. A standard size new quartz movement could be found to fit it much cheaper.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Tim J C

Tim J C New Member

Having acquired a carriage clock with the same butterfly makers mark, I did a little research. This is a Junghans mark used for watches/clock made out of the Thomas Haller factory in Schwenniger. Junghans manufactured what they considered to be cheaper timepieces there while producing their other products out of the factory in Schramberg using the better known five-pointed star mark. The butterfly was registered in 1925 but I don't get the sense that it was used for long. Hopefully this helps date these timepieces.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted