Featured Need any help with info on new Tiger Oak Curved Glassed Curio.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KCredrage, Oct 26, 2017.

1. KCredrage

KCredrage Member

Hello kindred seekers of the “old &/or curious”,

This is my first info seeking post and am still massaging the posting controls, so be kind, lol! My wife & I just procured this (what we thought was awesome... simple, yet oddly unique) Quartersawn Tiger Oak Curio Cabinet. I’m pretty sure it’s antique, but furniture isn’t my specialty, (if I even have one, lol) so I am reaching out to the Antiquer Community for any info you can give me! Period, age, year, maker, etc.... I can take any critique you have, (not shy to give my 2 cents) so fire away.
    Dimensions: 71 1/2” high from solid wood caster wheels to the highest point above top shelf..
    Top of main cabinet: 36 1/2” wide, 37” depth
    Carved Crane Figure: 7 1/2” high
    Each beveled mirror panel on top is 17” long
    Front 3-toed paws are 9” from wheel to bottom of cabinet
    Cabinet (not including legs or top shelf and beveled mirrors): 52” high, 36 1/2” wide
    Front door: 47” X 15 1/2”
    Might not have needed all these dims, but never hurts. If you need any more dims, just let me know?
    What I do know: Glass is definetly “old”. Wavy with a few very small runs. Person we got it from just got divorced and just didn’t want to store it. His parents purchased at an estate sale in Arizona 35 years ago. Top of cabinet has a few minor black spots from, I am assuming, water stains. The back wood has a 72 printed on it (?) I don’t see any wood shrinkage on the front or inside. Everywhere you can see from the front has been sealed (shellacked, etc..) but totally ends in back and underneath. There is wood shrinkage on unsealed wood back panels (non Tiger Oak) holding inside back and mirrors where wood has pulled away from nails. No square headed nails, but all screws are slotted, some not evenly across.
    It looks to be well taken care of, but, like I said, I’m no expert.
    Finally, we just really fell in love with it and ended up paying $250.00 and he delivered.
    We would never part with it, just looking for experienced info on it! I will post photos, hopefully without any uploading errors!
    For all that can give me any input, I am already very grateful! 3D59AFAA-DC0B-4CCA-8A90-1F83486E3CEB.jpeg C02F4F07-DBAD-41C2-9133-3E31DB0F58E4.jpeg AF67CEB1-6CA9-410D-ADCC-7043B25C5A3B.jpeg 3BF0355F-6A7D-476F-BB2E-9A99D0C6ECCF.jpeg E3C46D2B-E903-41B6-87B2-939C5323A4DD.jpeg 624F3ABF-A037-4263-8380-374D3C6B0979.jpeg

Joe2007, James Conrad, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. KCredrage

KCredrage Member

Here are a few more photos of above cabinet. Did not want to place too many photo on in one post..... DA56379E-635D-4842-B803-CF7B921B5080.jpeg 83B3C1F2-4A68-40C2-BFC4-8AB4B5A6717C.jpeg 7C7C0A2F-2078-4BF3-BCA4-2CDEE454EB82.jpeg 4821CE06-79E4-4D98-9883-C52E3AA1A8FD.jpeg

I have one more comment concerning our find. We thought it was also pretty unique in that it is made to be a corner Curio, but also looks to be stylized to work as a “front or single wall unit”. It has a total of 3 legs, the 2 in pawed in front and a larger “club or block” foot in middle back. I could not find one like this on eBay, much less anywhere else I searched online the last day. Hmmmm...
    I was wondering if the Crane or Stork carved figure has anything to do with the Maker?
    Thanks, again, in advance, to any info fellow members may have! I LOVE this Cabinet, no matter the value!
    KC

cxgirl and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

American Oak China Cupboard in a corner cabinet style. Not as common as the regular curved glass china cupboard.
    Time period approximately 1890 - 19teens, maybe a little later.

Often sold through Sears, and Montgomery Ward. Although there were also some higher end pieces made in the American Oak.

Prices for American Oak furniture have dropped in the last few years.
    Wait for other opinions

I did not click all of your pictures.
    If you use the Full Image when you post, your pictures will come in larger.
    Many people are only on phones and can't see the little pictures.
    If you are having trouble loading because of size, your pictures need to be 400x600, so you may need to resize.

Oh and welcome to the board.

Aquitaine, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u can place 10 pics in a post...

Aquitaine, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add much to what Cluttered said. Interesting piece. Probably will never find who made it. Definitely American. Think you got a good buy even in this depressed market.

Aquitaine, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Cluttered pretty much nailed it. This one has some Art Nouveau about it, which lasted longer in America than in Europe. I'd say 1900-1910 on this one. A handsome piece; I really like the bird detail. A great deal for $250.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. plaid423

plaid423 Active Member

It's beautiful! Enjoy.

KCredrage and judy like this.
  8. KCredrage

KCredrage Member

Thanks for the reply and for the info! I think I was pretty close to what you were thinking with the little research I had done. Much appreciated!

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  9. KCredrage

KCredrage Member

Thanks, verybrad!

10. KCredrage

KCredrage Member

Thanks, Ghopper!

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. KCredrage

KCredrage Member

Thanks, I definitely will!

12. KCredrage

KCredrage Member

Thx for reminding me! I’m losing more marbles, lately.....lol!

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted