Need assistance identifying table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by murphydj, Mar 15, 2017.

1. murphydj

murphydj New Member

Recently picked up this piece, but before I do any restoration work on it I am trying to identify the actual piece (age, manufacturer, etc...). There is a glass piece that covers the top in the middle that I did not include in the pictures but do have as well, just have put away for safekeeping.Any assistance you can provide will be most appreciated. ~Don IMG_3073.jpg IMG_3069.jpg IMG_3070.jpg IMG_3064.jpg IMG_3066.jpg IMG_3072.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I've not seen anything like that.
    Wonder if the sides had tin liners for plants?

Does the glass cover the open ends or just the center square?

judy likes this.
  3. murphydj

murphydj New Member

Just the center piece. The ends are open and do not appear to have had any hardware on them (as if they may have had a cover at one time like an old sewing table has).

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have a tough time thinking that the glass piece that fits the center was original - same with the wood piece that's on it now.

Does the center opening go straight to the inside of the drawer or is there some structure there?

judy likes this.
  5. murphydj

murphydj New Member

I believe the wood is all original (but probably not the glass as you state). See attached as to why I believe that. The second picture has the handwritten #5 on the bottom, same as the bottom of the drawer in my original post, and the stain patterns match both the top and the bottom pieces. It appears someone just maybe replaced the original inlay (if there was anything other than wood) on the top with what is currently there. IMG_3067.jpg IMG_3066.jpg

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ah! I did not realize what that picture (of the underside looking into the drawer space) was supposed to show me.

So let me see if I understand correctly - the part on top is made up of a square "frame" that's attached to the rest of the table and the frame has a center piece (the part with the #5 on the bottom and the linoleum on the top) that lifts out. Right?

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Is there a "lip" around the edge of the center square piece of wood to hold the glass in?

8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

9. murphydj

murphydj New Member

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sure looks like that games table but not nearly as old. I think this is probably circa 1930.

antidiem and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted