Featured Need coin expert advice

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lennyt, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I recently accuired this Hungarian coin and did some research. I see it sells for about $2500 to $5000. However I'm not familiar with coin grading so I'm unable to estimate value correctly. Could anyone provide me with rough estimation on condition of this coin. Coin collecting world is very confusing...

20181111_155913-1164x873.jpg 20181111_155909-1164x873.jpg 20181111_155856-873x1164.jpg 20181111_155848-873x1164.jpg 20181111_155822-1164x873.jpg 20181111_155754-873x1164.jpg 20181111_155746-873x1164.jpg 20181111_155815-1164x873.jpg 20181111_155922-1164x873.jpg 20181111_155931-1164x873.jpg 20181111_155931-1164x873.jpg

Joshua Brown, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Those were remade a few times since 1907

In its condition it is worth its weight in gold

3. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

How can you tell the difference between original or the once that were remade?

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of the Austrian ones

Still, it does not matter to the value

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

What do you mean does not matter? I see restrike has u.p mark on the portret side. This one doesn't. The original once go for minimum of $2600 even in a bad state.
    Would you mind coloborating your statement on what makes you think this is a restrike or reissue?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    kyratango likes this.
  6. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

So here is what I got from different sources.
    Here is info from auction catalog. You can clearly see U.P on restrike.

upload_2018-11-11_22-43-58.png

Next info from one of the coin forums:

"The 1908 Austrian 100 corona was not restruck. It is an entirely different design known as The Lady In The Clouds.

The 1908 Hungary 100 corona was restruck, but the restrikes can be identified by the UP found under the shield on the reverse. The originals had KB in the same location.

All examples of the 1915 Austrian 100 corona are restrikes. For this reason there are no identifying marks."

And last is the eBay auction results for what seems to be original coin in a very bad condition, sold for $2400 (about double the gold value).
    upload_2018-11-11_23-2-54.png

So again...
    Would you mind explaining what in your opinion identifies my coin as a restrike and not originally minted in 1907.
    It seems the original coin value is a way higher than restrikes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    kyratango likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good luck. I'm sure you get the price you want.
    not in Europe though. there they go into the smelter directly, because from both - Austrian and "Hungarian" - there's plenty around.
    and it would be nice to see clear pics when asking questions about the condition.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

PS. for all that are asking themselves about the values. the internet gives a chance to many companies to ask completely waywayout prices. in bigger and private collections these coins are already included for a long time and between collectors would never reach the prices asked.
    here:
    https://www.ma-shops.de/shops/searc...n.+100+Kronen%2C+KB-Kremnitz%2C+1907.&catid=0

and even the old Nazis from Degussa are at it again:
    https://shop.degussa-goldhandel.de/100-korona-goldmuenze-kroenungsjubilaeum-franz-josef1-ungarn

kyratango likes this.
  10. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I understand prices are not set in stone. Specially at auctions. It wasn't my question to begin with. Even do coins with mintage of around 11000 from that era would never go for a scrap price like someone over here suggested. I didn't ask about price. I asked about grade od this coin. At least a rough one.
    I also don't realy like when people trow words like copy or restrike without having some kind of basis behind it, or at least explaining why they think that way.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    cxgirl and BaseballGames like this.
  11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Grading is very difficult to do from photographs and the type of grading differs between the US and the rest of the world.

Here in the UK I would grade it as AU "About Uncirculated". (My opinion only)

In the US they use the Sheldon Scale which uses a 70 point scale which is subjective and quite obsessesive.

If you wish to get it graded for sale in the US then send it to one of the top 3 Third Party grading companies in the US that eBay accepts for graded coins on its website PCGS, ANACS or ICG.
    You pay a fee and the coin is assigned a grade and then it is slabbed in a plastic holder.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

then it would be nice to have clear pics, as said before.
    but the price is of no interest ? really ?
    you "recently accuired" it. you know what ? seems you don't understand the gold coin business at all. it's a marketing industry by itself that went completely astray thanks to QVC and other krap TV channels.
    and of course the gnomes of Zurich take advantage of it. "is the american bloodhound Christoph Meili still around ? still on social security ? send him to our vaults, he will certainly find those Franzl coins..."
    and the same in Germany, where Heinrich and Hellmute from Degussa jump around from joy !
    even when we take normal auction houses; did you ever think what happens when you bring in the coin ? most probably you want at least the gold price plus the 20 to 30 % that you have to pay for it being properly listed: the buyer's premium is another 20 to 30 %. so, at the end of the day - if sold at all - we're a whopping 40 to 60 % over the gold value !
    and believe it or not, those coins were widely spread as a personal security not only in Austria and Hungary but in the whole Habsburg empire !

cxgirl, afantiques and kyratango like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when you post here you have to expect opinions from a wide range of members.
    some you may like.....others...not so much.:yuck::vomit:
    but....once enough interested members get their eyes on your item..... in an effort to help answer your questions....you will at least have more information from which to draw your own conclusions...:)

I know of no one here who is competent at grading coins from photographs alone, so that could be a problem in itself.
    Our sister sight....Cointalk.....may serve you better.;):):)

cxgirl, mmarco102, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  14. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

The thing is I basicaly got this coin as a part of a trade and I don't collect coins at all. Does monetary value play part in this, sure. The only reason I asked for expert opinion is because I have no idea what to list it as. So now I will take daveydempsey grading, lower it a bit and list it to get my money back and hopefully make some to buy more things :)

I have no issues with anybody's opinion, but as long as it is expressed as an opinion. Imagine someone who didn't do some research would base valuation on terry5732 opinion.... That could cost this person some decent ammount of money.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

okay. good luck then.:)

16. daveydempsey

BTW,
    In the US if selling on eBay you are not allowed to mention the grade in the title unless it has been certified.
    Any other eBay platform throughout the world you can mention any grade you wish.
    eBay.com(US) are in the pockets of the third party graders so to speak.:rolleyes:

komokwa, afantiques, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  17. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Thanks daveydempsey. I just needed an idea on how to price it. Never sold a coin before. Watches is my thing :)
    The price difference is kind of huge depending on a grade. So now I know what kind of offer I could live with :)

komokwa, James Conrad and kyratango like this.
  18. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

upload_2018-11-28_6-48-19.png So much for weight in gold valuation...
    I actually sent coin to NGC to be graded.

kyratango, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  19. daveydempsey

Good for you :cool:

kyratango and Fid like this.
  20. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Why not just take it to a Certified Coin Dealer and find out.

Draft saved Draft deleted