NEED HELP! 1891 Antique ceramic framed art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Zac thomas, May 9, 2017.

1. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

IMG_2684.JPG IMG_2683.JPG hi all! I have in my family possession an antique framed art work that depicts two fairies/Angels kissing amongst sunflowers. I'm having trouble reading the signature to research more about it. All I can read is 1891 and a few letters. ANY help reading the signature or even if anyone know anything about the piece would be great! It's ceramic feel (not sure that's the right word) so it's not oil or on canvas it's ceramic/porcelain and around 35cmx45cm with the frame. Apologies for the flash glare on the image. Many thanks!

Lucille.b and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Your first photo clearly shows that this is a mass produced print. You can see the dot matrix. Maybe a photo-lithograph on paper laid to some kind of backing. I doubt it is as old as the frame. The second photo is not in well enough focus to tell what it reads. However, being a print, the artist is probably not all that important.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It might depict Cupid and Psyche. There are several other artists who did paintings in the early 1890s on this theme. I haven't identified the artist on yours.

As Brad said, this is a mass-produced print, based on a painting that was painted in 1891. The printing method with the dot matrix appears to be from the 20th century. It might have possibly have been printed directly on the ceramic or might, as Brad mentioned, have been printed onto a paper that was then attached to the backing.

4. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Ah that makes sense then! Thank you Brad and Figtree for your help! I wasn't too sure of the age of it etc and was surprised to see such an outof focus signature as such! We've had it in the family for years and never really questioned about it but it's a lovely piece of art and a lovely frame too! Didn't manage to find any images of it online tho which leads me to believe it may not have been largely produced? Many thanks all!

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why would you think that if there were 500 of these made that they would all be posted online.......the net doesn't work that way..

6. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

I'm not sure YOU know how the internet works. If 500 were made from a copy of an original piece of art work of that style and quality, there would AT LEAST be an article, a reference, a similar and perhaps an image. You've commented negatively on my previous posts and added no help so if you would kindly not comment on my posts or block me that would be great. Many Thanks Komokwa

7. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Also as a side note, this piece was dated when bought at the age of over one hundred years old from the auctioneers if that helps anyone :)

8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The frame is nice and looks about 100 yrs old, but need to see the back to be sure. You may have some recourse from the Auction house if the porcelain plaque was catalogued incorrectly.

Zac thomas likes this.
  9. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Thank you Houseful! It was bought in an auction house years ago in Hatton (uk) I believe the ceramic plaque has some details on the back If I remember correctly from trying to research before! When I get back home I shal see if I can provide more pics! What should I look for on the back? :) many thanks

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You don't have the gravitas here to tell me where I can and can not post......& what I can and can not post......but in the spirit of peace on the board , consider yourself blocked.
    & I would hope that you might see it in your best interest to also block me ....

11. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

I can ask anybody on here who is being nagitve and not offering genuine help on multiple of my posts to remove themselves from my contact so genuine kind people can reply to my thread as they have done above and speak to me like a human being. Thanks you're blocked after this komokwa.

Draft saved Draft deleted