Featured Need help. Any info on this piece would be much appreciated

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by CreativeFinish, Jun 1, 2018.

1. CreativeFinish

CreativeFinish New Member

I recently purchased this piece to restore and resell. I loved the carvings. but of course as usual I cannot find anything similar except a piece by Horner. Of course I would love it to be one of his but the main issue I am coming across is the joints they are mortise and tension with just a few pins/dowels.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not sure what you want to know.....

Why is this an issue?

Christmasjoy and CreativeFinish like this.
  3. CreativeFinish

Ha, sorry it's because I cannot find anything to verify I am correct or if the $150 I purchased it for was well spent I plan to restore and resell for minimum $500, I believe this is a great price but without solid verification of piece I don't feel comfortable asking to much

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Don't know where you are....but a quick read of the forum will come up with many comments on how ' brown furniture' is at an all time low in the marketplace...
    even period restoration would not get me to pay $500 for this nice item...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately, Komo is correct. With a few exceptions like Shaker, Mission by well known makers and a few other categories, antique furniture is a tough sell in the middle market & victorian is especially slow.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. CreativeFinish

I thank everyone for their help. I have not found that to be much of an issue with my furniture after restoration. Its just with this piece I like to have as much info as possible to give a potential customer.

The 2 pieces below where in bad shape and the hall table was literally in pieces and water damaged. Both where as you say brown furniture. Dresser I got $500 for hall table I received $800 the 4th pic is displayed in the customers home.

Also I get confused because everyone has a different opinion about which era and style is worth something. I have 2 empire crotch Mahogany 1820-1830 dressers that I was told even restored would only bring me around $200-$250. But that is not really what i am asking per say.... I would have liked info on a specific style and age within 30 years and possible makers that I could research. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late Victorian. Turn of the century, give or take. Probably will never find who made this unless you stumble upon a catalog page or marked example. Nice piece but not $500.00 nice in my Midwest market, even if restored.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You obviously do very nice refinishing and have a high end clientele market.

Most of us do not have your skills/or may no longer be wiling to put the effort in. Nor do we have a market with a ready cash flow.

I would say you are in a unique position different from the rest of us. Good for you.

9. clutteredcloset49

Would like to see pictures of the desk once you refinish.

10. CreativeFinish

Of course. Will be happy to post finished piece.

11. CreativeFinish

Thank you I try and really do love the work!!! Not too high end on clientele I use Facebook Marketplace for most of my selling.Plus living in the New England area really helps

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You DO have a lot going for you! Age (young), Energy (lots of it!), and willingness to put time in to your finds.....looks like it pays off as what you've shown us looks beautiful!!:):) WAY TO GO! And, yes, would love to see this piece restored....I have a feeling it will look wonderful!!

13. clutteredcloset49

I think if you wanted to - you could market your skills as a re-finisher.

Print up some business cards and drop them off at a few antique stores.
    Do consider any liabilities you might encounter with picky customers. Start with simple pieces, not requiring repair.

14. CreativeFinish

I do some refinishing and minor repair now along with restoring and reselling. But I am wary of antique store customers because of the reason you stated. Way too picky. I am very OCD as it is and most likely over do most of my pieces, so if i was nervous about a picky customer I might never be finished cause I will always see a mark or specks of dust in the finish when I am an inch away from the surface. Which you can never honestly remove all specks but I try anyway!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted