Featured Need help before I buy this. 18th century Japanese Samurai doll.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by benbenny007, Dec 26, 2018.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Merry Christmas,

A friend offered me this doll and she told me its a 18th century piece. She is asking £1900 GBP for it which is approx $2400 US. I have not much knowledge about this subject and need help.

Its sits in a glass case and the doll without case is around 32cm / 12.5 inch in height and width.

Should i buy it? Is the price ok or is it to expensive?

Any info/input is welcome and sorry for the bad resolution pics but thats all i have at the moment.

It comes with this story.
    The history of the doll stems from the growing up of a warrior minded son. When the son of the house learns the ways of the Samurai warrior Honour, Loyalty, Respect, Discipline etc., his father will bestow the doll to him as a reminder. A sign of acknowledgement that his son has come of age and responsibility The son will then pass the doll down to the next generation. It's a family heirloom thot is passed down generations.

Screenshot_20181226-081220.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081319.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081229.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081311.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081244.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081305.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081258.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081252.jpg Screenshot_20181226-081236.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks extremely well made.....but for $2400...i'd want more provenance...than a say so and a story !

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Cris Drugan ISA-AM Active Member

benbenny007, Jivvy, kyratango and 9 others like this.
  6. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Absolutely no intention of seeming to be unkind but don't feel guilty about being wary of buying the doll because it is offered by a friend. And it is very expensive for what it seems to be. Be hard headed and get it checked out.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

A specialized field in the world of collecting. Not sure doll is the correct term as it doesn't appear to be a toy.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Me personally, I would not buy it.
    Particularly since you don't know what you are buying.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

May I ask with the nicest possible intentions... What is your motivation in buying this item? In other words, why are you considering spending $2,400 on something you know nothing about?

Debora

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same.
    Are you buying for yourself, because you like it?
    or
    Are you buying to resell?
    or
    Are you buying because you think this doll might be a good investment later on?

kyratango and judy like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"Cash only ."
    and I wonder that such disgusting stuff is accepted on a British platform with a branch in Australia.
    would they also accept Mussolini dolls and nativity sets with Waffen-SS figures showing the battle of the Bulge ?

benbenny007 likes this.
  13. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

What do you mean? The samurai doll?

benbenny007 likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a nice doll. That said, a ton of these were made in Japan as souvenir ware right up into the 1950s. Around here the estate sale price would be about $150 and they might even get it. I don't know which makers sell for big buck$$$ and which are pretty much giveaways. If you're buying it to help a friend out of a jam, that's one thing. Otherwise more research is needed.

benbenny007, all_fakes, judy and 2 others like this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I agree with all the others who advise against buying although I know nothing bout it. IMO it’s nuts to spend thousands on something you don’t collect and know nothing about. More importantly, I’d also be wary of a “friend” who is asking you more than they asked strangers since they’d still have to pay fees to the site, beside the fact that no one else wanted it at that price.

benbenny007 and komokwa like this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Sorry, just looked and it appears the site is free but regardless, your friend is still asked you the same price they’d ask a stranger after not being able to sell it.

benbenny007, aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd be leery of any "friend" who told me this item dated to the 1700s.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted