Need help dating this beautiful secretary desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Deborah Bartle, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Deborah Bartle

Deborah Bartle New Member

I bought this gorgeous desk recently at an antique store in Southern California for $300 (which is pretty cheap around here). I thought it was a modern reproduction, but the more I look at it the more I think it's pretty old. At any rate, it's a nice addition to my desk collection. rps20210330_225033.jpg rps20210330_225441.jpg

Attached Files:

lovewrens likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The hardware looks 20th c - I could be way off here but it looks like the drawer face was applied? I love Georgian furniture but those English cabinetmakers are very sneaky. What does the uppercase look like? The back of the piece would also be telling. Lovely regardless!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    love your desk but love your cuckoo clock better. I have the same one, it is an eight day clock. I can not see the ends of your chain but mine has large acorns on the bottom. As to your desk it is too early in the morning, I can not remember if the drawer bottom are supposed to go horizontal or vertical. It is beautiful.
    greg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Modern reproduction from Indonesia.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Deborah Bartle

rps20210330_225757.jpg
    This is the back of the upper case - the bottom part matches it. All chamfered panels.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Deborah Bartle

My husband collects clocks, and I think he's got at least 6 cuckoos that are currently running. They all have pinecone weights.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Pretty piece. $300 is about right for an Indonesian repop.

8. Deborah Bartle

Ok, on doing further research on Indonesian reproductions, I have found desks like this one. So that explains the discrepancies I was seeing. They did a pretty good job on this one, though, and I think it was well worth the price. At least now I don't have to be afraid of destroying any value it might have by making modifications.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted