Need Help Dating This Sewing Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Not Sure What This Is, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

Hi,
    I'm fairly certain that this is Northeast Native American (Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, Wabanaki), but it is a bit different from other examples that I've had. I think that it's made of braided sweetgrass, but now I'm not certain that it isn't seagrass or what they call Hong Kong cord. It's a large sewing basket that measures 13" in diameter and 7 1/2" in height. Some of the wood splint used is different from what I normally see, and I'm not sure about the nails, so I just wanted to make sure that it is what I think it is. Definitely has some age - note the stamping on the paper covering the wood bottom. Any opinions as to origin and age? Ron

Maine-Native-American-Sweetgrass-Sewing-Basket-.jpg Maine-Native-American-Sweetgrass-Sewing-Basket-2.jpg Maine-Native-American-Sweetgrass-Sewing-Basket-5.jpg

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I know of no 1st Nations Northeast ash sweetgrass or Hong Kong cord baskets that bear this shape or use rims of wood and nails.......or have wooden paper covered bases.

4. Not Sure What This Is

Komokwa,
    Yes, I agree - the wood rims are what are throwing me off the most. My wife thinks that this is simply a "wicker" basket. It definitely is an older example, which may explain why the shape is atypical. But, if not First Nations, what then?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree it is not First Nations. None of the materials are correct for that attribution - solid wood bottom, with willow stakes (the uprights, where I can see the typical leaf scars), the pink horizontal elements look like rattan (with the characteristic longitudinal striations), and the sea grass/Hong Kong cordage. Given the stamp on the bottom, I would assume it is a commercial product created perhaps in China, but perhaps by a company in the US/Canada.

i need help likes this.
  6. Not Sure What This Is

Thank you for the info. OK, I agree not First Nations, now I've just got to figure out what. Maybe this thread should be in a different category.

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m not that knowledgeable about baskets, but I think the tacks/nails might point to commercial as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted