Need Help Determing Spool Bed Age and Value

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Juanita Masa, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Juanita Masa

Juanita Masa New Member

Hello,

Just trying to determine the age and value of this spool bed.

First time using your forum so please be patient with me...lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

With those ropes Im going to guess 1860s-70s. Welcome aboard.

3. Juanita Masa

Juanita Masa New Member

Thank you for the welcome...mid-1800's is what I'm hoping. Any idea of value?

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Value depends on where you are and what similar pieces sell for there. You will have to do some local research!

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Juanita Masa

Juanita Masa New Member

I have been and that's what led me to this forum. Thanks!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

As Marie said,it all depends on where you are. here in N. Fl youd be lucky to get $150,especially as "brown" furniture is at an all time low.Plus with antique beds its hard to find a mattress that fits,and most folks are buying queen and king sized now.Im guessing that would be a full size?

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Juanita Masa

Juanita Masa New Member

I'm in New England so fingers crossed...it fits a full size bed. Definitely for a colonial enthusiast.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Very handsome. Agree on the mid-19th century time period. Maybe $100-$200 in this part of the Midwest. Criminal, really; it should be several times that figure for this beautiful craftsmanship.

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. Juanita Masa

Juanita Masa New Member

I agree. Thank you. One almost exactly like it sold on Etsy for $695 last week. The seller was operating out of New Jersey. Who knows? Shipping was another $400 so apparently there is a demand. ;) I just love it and would use it in a guest room or child's bedroom. To each his own, I guess.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add much to what the others have said. Circa 1860 is right on. Can't tell wood from these photos but possibly walnut. Think New England may be the place for something like this. We certainly can't sell these for much here in the Midwest. On-line high prices are usually not able to be repeated locally. Something about the internet and people with more money than brains sometimes. Think it is really about convenience and the ability to get exactly what you want, when you want it.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Juanita Masa

Juanita Masa New Member

Thanks for your input! Happy to hear that the date is correct. I hear you on the value issue. Since I live in an area with lots of money, I count on less brains. We'll see what happens. Have a great day...

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted