Need Help/Direction for Antique/Vintage Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KRA, Jul 20, 2020.

1. KRA

KRA New Member

I'm looking for some help identifying some furniture and/or direction on whether it is worth pursuing a formal appraisal. Some is stretching the term "furniture" but hopefully that will be okay.

I have a set of these chairs. One is static and one is a rocker.
    20200718_191837.jpg

This is another set that includes one chair and one loveseat or small couch type piece.
    IMG_0567.JPG

Didn't want to unload this one by myself. This and the chair are quite heavy.
    IMG_0563.JPG

Detail of the character on the chair and loveseat:
    IMG_0568.JPG

Another chair, but this one has a little history. It was in my mother's house when she was growing up. No origin markings though and she doesn't know where it came from.
    IMG_0570.JPG

Maybe this pattern offers a clue:
    IMG_0574.JPG

Another piece that my mom grew up with. This has another panel that hinges off of this one. The back is also fabric/tapestry looking, but is falling apart. The bottom has a label that says, "California Furniture Co. of Los Angeles, Broadway 639-645". I'll add a picture below.
    IMG_0564.JPG

Very small rocking horse. It's about 23" high and 33" long. Little bit rough in person.
    20200717_074127.jpg

Interesting looking lamp with horned figures on the sides. The wiring suggests it's old, but I can't be sure.
    20200717_073306.jpg

I have identified this as a Kolster K-44 Radio. Seems like they were really expensive new (I found $260 in 1929). Not sure if there's much value today. Lots of tubes and a couple of huge transformers inside. Need to clean before I try to power it up.
    20200712_131727_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The rocking horse is a recent-ish Asian import. With a Google Images search, you'll find many similar.

Debora

i need help, antidiem and KRA like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think we saw one of these chairs before?

i need help likes this.
  4. KRA

KRA New Member

If you happen to run across it or can think of a way to identify the ones that were posted previously that might help. I tried searching for "chair" and went through all the threads that came up but didn't find that style chair at all.

i need help likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The lamp shade is newer than the lamp which can confuse the eye as to its age.

Debora

i need help, antidiem and KRA like this.
  6. KRA

KRA New Member

I thought the lamp shade looked more modern. It's an interesting combination. All of this stuff came from my late Uncle's property that we had to clean out this week. There was a broad mix of things in the house and it was really challenging to identify what was old and might have value versus the things that were just too modern or mass produced.

i need help likes this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

The lamp is interesting. I'd like to see the top without the shade though.
    Mikey

i need help likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Your first chair is mahogany Empire style. I think European Empire.

i need help likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There's something about the back of the first chair and how is is rounded at the corners that makes me think newer and possibly Asian. Is that damage on the support for the right-hand arm? (on your right if you were seated?)

i need help, KRA and antidiem like this.
  10. antidiem

The rounded corners made me think European, but the entire legs make me think American Empire. So I chose European, although your suggestion is not impossible. It appears to have been refinished and recovered (with needlepoint?) and I thought they skipped that side panel with polyurethane.

Having a look at the bottom of the first chair will be helpful.

Msalicia, i need help and KRA like this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Your first pic , the chair with matching rocker are the earliest of the group, American Empire style, circa 1840s, probably mahogany (although some may argue it's late classical, pillar and scroll) I'm not sure about the 2nd set, the "fish" heads are very similar to a Morris chair I own. The 3rd chair is walnut Renaissance Revival, circa 1860s or so. It looks to be a middle-market factory quality, so determining the maker would be difficult. The fire screen is early 20th century, in one of the romantic revival styles, a subset of the Arts and Crafts movement. You can read about the company on-line. The tapestry is fantastic, it looks like a children's fairy-tale illustration. I'd love to see the back tapestry. This one might warrant an appraisal, but that may just be my personal preference for it.

KRA likes this.
  12. KRA

KRA New Member

Very interesting information so far! I thought that first chair set might have been older but had no way to confirm. I'm told those chairs and the second set were in my Uncle's first house when he bought it. It looks like all of the chairs have been re-covered once or twice. I have not found markings on any of the chair bottoms or legs. We thought those heads on the ends of the arms of the second set of chairs was a serpant, but searching for fish head pulls up much closer results! Thank you! I've been searching for information on these things for days.

This sure looks like it was pre-UL! I didn't see it before, but the base was broken and glued at some point.
    IMG_0578-light.jpg

Here's the character on the sides.
    IMG_0579.JPG

Top view of the lamp.
    IMG_0580-light.jpg

Another lamp top view:
    IMG_0581-a.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  13. KRA

KRA New Member

I think that's just fading on that upright/support piece.

antidiem likes this.
  14. KRA

KRA New Member

Unfortunately the back tapestry is destroyed. It looks like a cat used it for a scratching post. It's really sad the way most of this stuff was treated over the years. I came up with a search that made me think that could be a fire screen, but dismissed it since it had tapestry on both sides. I'll try to get the hinged panel on and get some pictures of the front and back of the whole thing this week.

Darkwing Manor and antidiem like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think the lamp has Apollo and Pan is the Goat figure. Maybe @Bronwen will weigh in. :)

KRA, Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  16. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the additional pics of the lamp. I don't think it started life as a lamp though. Might have been a vase or even an oil lamp at one time.

KRA, i need help and antidiem like this.
  17. antidiem

Ah, American Empire, thanks!

Darkwing Manor and i need help like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You nailed it. The head of the Apollo Belvedere & a couple of extremely goatish Pans.

Dolphins, the way they used to portray them.

19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I think the first chair is Empire Revival, ca. 1910, mahogany. I think the next two are recent SE Asian imports, also mahogany. The chair is indeed Renaissance Revival, walnut, ca. 1880.

Darkwing Manor and KRA like this.
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with Ghopper on the first and third. Not sure that the second set is a reproduction. Would need better pics but could be circa 1890. Fire screen looks to be classical revival circa 1930 but suppose it could be older. Agree that the horse is a reproduction. Lamp is indeed old.... maybe 30s. Seems you know about the radio. Looks to be in very good condition. Refinished?

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted