Need help finding capodimonte estate/auction expert in NYC area

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by brianlojeck, May 7, 2017.

1. brianlojeck

brianlojeck New Member

My grandmother passed away, and has several pieces of capodimonte, most likely purchased in the 1960's or 1970's.

None of the attorney's estate appraisal people seem to know much about capodimonte.

The thing about Grandma, this stuff could be chinatown duplicates, or could be from the throne room of some Italian nobleman.

Can anyone suggest an expert whose name I might pass on to the lawyers?

Thanks.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry to hear about your grandma....
    but...where are you.....or r u just on the web..?

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Depending on what exactly you need, you might contact an auction house.

There is an expert in Italian pottery that frequents this board. There are also some very savvy pottery people. You might consider posting photos here including the marks to help with identification.

"Capodimonte" in many cases has low value depending on what it is so you may be able to find sales results online for your pieces if that would satisfy the estate goal.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

I suggest that you post photos here for a quick response that might save you much time and, more importantly, precious dollars. A photo of the item and one of the mark and any signature is all that is needed for a quick evaluation. I have collected Italian pottery for forty years and I written several books on the subject. During those four decades you can imagine how many thousands of pieces I have seen. I have discovered precisely two pieces of true Capodimonte porcelain that was not in a museum. One, a miniature chair, was owned by a lady in Israel and the other, a plate, was offered on eBay. In both cases no one referred to them as being Capodimonte.
    Below is a quick article I wrote about Capodimonte which might help you.

http://italianpotterymarks.freeforums.org/are-you-confused-about-the-term-capodimonte-t11.html

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    komokwa, Bookahtoo, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  5. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted