Featured Need help finding for grandpa

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Squawkdapus, May 13, 2021.

1. Squawkdapus

Squawkdapus New Member

Not sure what this is or where it comes from.

C3A08F57-36B4-4CE6-A42A-A43A1DD2FC4D.jpeg CF8A75E7-C751-482E-AB22-222B70DE5AB6.jpeg 3F272F59-42D4-4351-B718-9F09ADB1251F.jpeg B59D3705-7972-4F0A-9AED-E42FBA3092BB.jpeg AD223674-1FBE-4E0B-A297-356AB77F7E28.jpeg C3A08F57-36B4-4CE6-A42A-A43A1DD2FC4D.jpeg CF8A75E7-C751-482E-AB22-222B70DE5AB6.jpeg 3F272F59-42D4-4351-B718-9F09ADB1251F.jpeg Thank you

KSW, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Squawkapus!

Welcome to Antiquers...........:cat:

I can't help, but I'll tag a couple of people that might have info.

@Any Jewelry
    @komokwa

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Philippines Moro Punal Knife

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Davey to the rescue!!!

pearlsnblume, KSW and komokwa like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You can also find it under the name 'gunong'. Different ethnic groups use different terms. It is a nice example.

pearlsnblume, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi AJ!

I tagged you because I know you have a collection of very special knives.....the name of which I cannot think of though.:oops:

KSW, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Squawkdapus

Squawkdapus New Member

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@Any Jewelry
    @the blacksmith
    Kris...Keris....something like that.......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

upload_2021-5-13_15-0-41.jpeg
    Yes Pus...a nice knife !!

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, the gunong is related to the Moro keris/kalis.
    The keris was probably introduced from East Java into the Philippines during the Majapahit era, 1293-ca 1500. The East Javanese Majapahit empire spread to parts of the Philippines, parts of mainland Asia as well.

The blade of the one you posted looks a bit like an early Javanese keris called the keris buda, except the blade on the keris buda is 'jalak', more leaf shaped.

The first two are keris buda:

[​IMG]
    http://worldofkeris.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-development-and-history-of-keris.html

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    KSW, kyratango, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Hi judy, the name is keris.:) I mainly collect the ones from Java and Madura, where the spiritual aspect is more important.
    In the Philippines the keris (kalis) is more about status, identity, and combat.

KSW, komokwa and judy like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you @Any Jewelry & @komokwa

Believe it or not, I did remember the type/name Keris, but much much later................

12. Any Jewelry

:happy:

komokwa likes this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

14. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Squawkdapus

Yep, Punal dagger , probably post war , nicely made , I have a couple , German Silver, definitely a step up from what they are pawning off in downtown Davao these days , or when I was last there in 2013 . Last place I saw real antique weaponry in the Philippines was in an antique store , fourth floor SM Mega Mall near Mandaluyong, and they were pricy... $300 and up for plain jane barongs and $700 plus for bone or ivory handle turn of the century stuff. My best find was here locally at an auction, think I mentioned it before, an honest to god Moro Panabas complete with carved handle , rataan work and Betel lime rubbed in the carvings, circa year 1900... it looks like it was used in battle , and I would not doubt it ! cost me a whole $75...listed at auction as an "Ethnic Machete"... I love when auction houses don't do their homework....

Philippine weaponry is neat , so many different tribes and so many different styles of weapons...... Look online for the Krueger book from the 1910 / 1920 era.... lots of neat pictures .

Last edited: May 15, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted