Need help finding info on this signed color etching.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Robert Walker, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

fullsizeoutput_2e9e.jpg fullsizeoutput_2e96.jpg fullsizeoutput_2e8f.jpg fullsizeoutput_2e9f.jpg
    Hi All, hope you all are doing well. A question on behalf of my girlfriend. She thought she had bought an etching of a typical 'Dutch scene', i.e. canal, church-etc. Looking at it I don't think it's Dutch. Especially because in the background you can see relief or hills. Not very Dutch, haha. I personally think It might be Belgian of French. It is framed very well. That's my two cents, over to her:

"Dear people, I cannot find anything about my old signed color etchings, in have searched for hours.... When I bought it, I initially thought of a Dutch scene. But on closer inspection, it seems more likely to me that it is foreign. Is there anyone who recognizes the signature or the image itself? The dimensions are in total: 40x42.5cm - the etching itself: 23.5x17.5 All information is welcome, kind regards, Romy."

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What does the label on the back say? Would you be kind enough to post a close-up photograph?

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think most of these are Belgian, although in my crowd we used to dismiss these as "fretchings":jawdrop:

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. flipper

All I can see is H o d Lodds & Ln?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, signed Normand.
    I think those are clouds.:) It all looks very Dutch to me.
    H. v.d. (= van de, or van der) Zedde & Zn (Dutch). Zn is short for Zonen, sons.
    So it was framed by a Dutch frame shop called H. van der Zedde and Sons. Robert can probably tell us where the shop was.

Although there is an overlap between Dutch and Belgian names, van der Zedde is too 'nordic' to be Belgian, imo. Besides, Belgians usually write it vander, instead of van der.
    Zedde is the name of a hamlet near Volendam, which in turn is not far from Amsterdam, North Holland. The ancestors of van der Zedde would have been from Zedde.

There was an H. van der Zedde who was a member of the Dutch Resistance during WWII:
    http://www.stichtingvriendenkring13april1945.nl/?page_id=418

Sorry guys, it is in Dutch, but Robert and Romy can read it.;)

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

someone has to know the village and church in the background. too many canals in France. the boat looks like a typical Péniche, today mostly used for canal cruises.

Christmasjoy, judy and blooey like this.
  8. flipper

9. Robert Walker

Thank you for you help! (In Dutch: Jij spreekt Nederlands dus? Of heb je het vertaald?:) The shop is in Amsterdam. The sticker says: The name: "H.v.d.Ledde & zn, like said above. Further: "Paintings, etchings, frames, wall decorations" and the Address: De Clercqstraat, A'dam. (The street is just outside the Centre in the West of A'dam. So not much info here. Other then that it was framed in A'dam.
    fullsizeoutput_2f08.jpg

To me it looks like it's (at least) a medium-priced framework, not the cheapest; i.e. double passe-partout, and that.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Robert Walker

Thank you for you help! (In Dutch: Jij spreekt Nederlands dus? Of heb je het vertaald?:) The shop is in Amsterdam. The sticker says: The name: "H.v.d.Ledde & zn, like said above. Further: "Paintings, etchings, frames, wall decorations" and the Address: De Clercqstraat, A'dam. (The street is just outside the Centre in the West of A'dam. So not much info here. Other then that it was framed in A'dam.
    View attachment 244107
    p.s. Mmm, I really have the feeling it isn't Dutch. The name, -I agree it looks likely to be 'Normand', but haven't found a match, yet.- but also the church on the right doesn't look dutch to me...

To me it looks like it's (at least) a medium-priced framework, not the cheapest; i.e. double passe-partout, and that.

11. Robert Walker

In case it is 'Normand'. Anyone know an artist with that name that could have made this etching? Or, does anyone have an idea of it's age, on basis of the photo's which could be a clue. Am I right that to it isn't cheap for an artist to make a colored etching of his work? The search continues. Thanks all for the input and info (and translation;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The St. Quentin Canal is in Vermand, northern France.

CanalStQuentin1.jpg

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Clever you! And it's in north-east France near the Belgium border so not an unlikely place for a Dutch tourist to buy a souvenir print.

Debora

14. Any Jewelry

Klopt.:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

It looks very different though, those slopes and that luscious foliage on sturdy trees, compared to the flatland and more 'spindly' trees in the print.

I found Persingen, Gelderland, the Netherlands.
    It has a canal called 'Het Meertje':

[​IMG]
    https://www.wikiwand.com/nl/Persingen

A church with a similar tower and white farmhouses:
    [​IMG]
    https://mapio.net/pic/p-120835531/

Those canal boats look pretty much the same in most of western Europe, this one is Dutch:
    [​IMG]

PortableTreasures likes this.
  16. Robert Walker

Whow, thank you for research and info! I would be keen to know how you sought this out;) I going to use the info to see if I can find something that leads to the maker. (And will be sure to let you know if I find something, ofcourse) All the best, Robert.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, Robert.
    I thought the church looked like some I had seen in the Betuwe and further east in the river region. The white houses looked like Ooijpolder houses to me, near Nijmegen. That is how I ended up in Persingen, so to speak.:playful:
    In spite of most of the country being flat, Dutch landscapes are actually pretty diverse.:)

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

All those countries in that area have canals that look like this. Plus, you have to allow for artistic license. It's a nice one. We visit that area frequently so I'd hang it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted