Need help identifing and finding

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by heamac11, Aug 16, 2018.

1. heamac11

heamac11 New Member

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm trying to identify and find a set of these wine glasses. They were my grandparents wedding glasses in the late 1930-early 1940s. I'm supposed to have them for my brother's wedding in 2.5 weeks.

Features: Bell shape, bubble, crystal, delicate. Haven't been able to firmly identify the etched design but an antique store owner suggested it was a corn flower?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They are wheel-cut but don't recognize them. A quick search of ebay for wheel-cut wine glasses did not find them. Many misidentify wheel-cut glasses as etched . A search of etched wine glasses produces over 1500 listings. If I were you, that is where I would start looking.

Focusing on a non-descript flower in the pattern will probably not get you anywhere. Maybe identifying the shape to a maker could help. However, these are just as likely Bohemian as being from an identifiable maker. You may just have to search for that needle in a haystack.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Try Morgantown. They make a lot of lady legs.

i need help likes this.
  5. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

LOL - I was just replying to say that Morgantown might be an option. A close-but-not-quite example:

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/morloua.htm

@heamac11 - You might try contacting Replacements about their pattern matching service, since you need it so quickly. If they don't have it in stock, at least you would hopefully get the names of the maker (or decorating company) and cutting.

Is that the only photo you have? A shot better showing the cutting and the stem would be helpful.

i need help likes this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Wheel cut designs are very hard to ID. There were many decorating companies who bought the undecorated glass from the glass manufacturers and did the cutting. Since each piece it done by hand there can be variations from stem to stem and the designs are rarely documented.

The only times I have had luck IDing a wheel cut design is when it was done in house by the glass manufacturer or done by one of the big decorating companies like Lotus. They often did document their cut designs.

The reality is you may never find an exact match, and certainly in 2-1/2 weeks it is highly unlikely. You may find something close, would that do? Try thrift stores, you never know!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted