Need help identifying an old hurricane lamp. Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Corinne Higdon, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Corinne Higdon

Corinne Higdon bluefaerie

Hello all! I need help identifying what appears to be a glass gold painted interior with painted white flowers on the exterior vintage hurricane lamp. I have tried to reverse google image/research everything I can and can't find anything. Would anyone be able to help? The picture shows the the shade, that isn't all that; however, I believe original).

Attached Files:

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think a hurricane lamp lamp is an oil lamp that can be used when a hurricane causes you to lose electricity. This is just a lamp I think.

Welcome Corinne, just a a few things to help us help you :) Please show the bottom, socket and plug, all will help boardies date this for you. Where did you get it? How long have you had it? The more information, the better!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome again, Corinne. I agree with Marie that a "hurricane lamp" is not electrified and usually has a tall glass "hurricane shade" that will protect the flame (whether oil or candle) from wind that gets through leaky windows.

judy, Corinne Higdon and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above. Your dainty lamp shouldn't be out in a hurricane, it might get pneumonia.
    The base is very pretty, the shade.....

5. Corinne Higdon

Thanks so much for responding Marie! It would only let me put 1 picture in there. I have had it for quite a few months. This particular lamp I found just rummaging through a garage sale and really liked the lamp itself, (the shade not so much); however, don't want to change things out/clean up too much in case it is valuable. Would really just like to know the origin and time frame though...Any info would be grateful and helpful.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Corinne Higdon

I thought a hurricane was the same, but for some reason, I was told this was classified under it. Thanks for letting me know and glad I was right to begin with!!! hahaha

i need help likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Corinne. I don't know much about lamps, but think this is very pretty and can see why you like it. (Not the shade so much, as you said.)

How tall is the lamp? Those who know about lamps might want measurements.

8. Corinne Higdon

Height is 21 to the bulb and 17 to bulb fixture? Width is 6-6 1-2.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its 1940-50s and that shade HAS to go ! No ones going to want it anyway.It is a pretty lamp. :)

10. Corinne Higdon

I found one, FINALLY!!! Was sold a while ago, Mid-century VTG Glass Gold White Floral Textured Table Lamp Light Metal Footed Brass Base. Thank you to EVERYONE!!!! Now I can move forward with cleaning the base up a bit and finding a shade that I like. :)

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The plug looks like 40s-50s to me also, but I am no expert :)

I agree, the shade isn't to today's taste, but I think it is original. Somehow looking at that shade reminds me of the movie Laura with Dana Andrews and Jean Tierney. I think she had a lamp on her desk with a similar shade...

Nope, just found a photo, a fussy shade but not the same :sorry:

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 3.43.04 PM.png

Corinne Higdon and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted