Need help identifying antique portrait?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bobby Stone, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Bobby Stone

Bobby Stone Active Member

Hello all. I have recently come across this antique picture that is very interesting. It is a black and white picture or portrait of a lady with praying hands.
    It is in a six sided wooden frame, it seems to be original with the picture. Across the back was a black strip that went all the way across and it said something and now it's gone except for the beginning and the end. The beginning starts off -No.814-the end says says-phot- I can't figure out what went in between that. It is in very good condition. I examined the picture through my Jewelers loupe and their is no dot matrix. I know a print will have a clear dot matrix through magnification but is their a print that doesn't have one? If anyone could give me some information it would be greatly appreciated. The last two pictures i have uploaded are under magnification. Thank you

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There are lots of types of prints that don't have a dot matrix.

If you look in this page in Graphics Atlas, none of the photographic types of prints have dots. Also, Woodburytype does not. Some of the ones listed under Photomechanical do. http://www.graphicsatlas.org/identification/

I often recommend Graphics Atlas as a source because it's got quite a lot of information if you really want to figure out what you have. You should also take it out of the frame to really figure it out. I realize that you might be dealing with original framing here, but since it is a printed reproduction of a painting I think you can take the risk.

afantiques likes this.
  4. Bobby Stone

Thank you very much for the replies. It has helped me tremendously. The numbers on the back in pencil,do you think they are from an auction house or something of that nature? I will investigate the picture out of the frame. Thanks for all the help,I really appreciate it.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's very possible that the "MU..." on the back sticker following the number is the start of the word "Museum." Not that I'm suggesting you piece came from a museum. It appears to be a decorative reproduction.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Bobby Stone

I believe I have seen such a decorative work that has museum ". " Written on or across it. I'm sure the frame is probably worth more than the pictureeven though they both seem to be pretty old. You guys rock!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree.

Debora

8. Bobby Stone

Thanks for the link it was helpful in many ways. Well I removed the back and examined the picture and from what I can tell,it is a silver gelatin print. I do not know how to go about finding the age or value. Like I said you guys are awesome,keep up the phenomanol work.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Bobby Stone

Well I took the picture out and looked at it closely through my loupe and compared it to the examples on graphics atlas and my best guess is that it's a silver gelatin print,I may be wrong I'm not sure.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted