Need Help Identifying Artist On Antique Oil Painting -Signature Ineligible?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Revedance, May 24, 2021.

1. Revedance

Revedance New Member

I bought these two oil paintings at an antique store & both appear to be signed by the same artist. Both seem to be oriental themed, so I'm leaning towards potentially an Asiatic Artist- however the signature alludes me. If anyone can help me narrow it down or give pointers to the potential artist it would be greatly appreciated! Any & All feadback is welcome!
    IMG_1471.jpeg IMG_1472.jpeg IMG_1475.jpeg IMG_1476.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not sure the artist matters for what looks to be factory art work.

Let's see what others say..

Bakersgma, BoudiccaJones, Fid and 2 others like this.
  3. Revedance

Revedance New Member

Both are original pieces, not factory or reproductions- thus knowing the artist would help narrow it down. If it was a reproduction or factory drawn it would be easy to narrow it down then.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u do not understand the term factory art......

all are original works.....made in a work space , where dozens if not hundreds of painters churn out works as fast as they can,,,,,,signing who knows who's name....

they sell cheaply...to folks who think they are getting a great deal by some known artist...

5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

These may help a bit ...

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Revedance. I agree with the others, these are classic examples of factory art.
    Even if you don't believe us, there is your proof. Two very different styles and techniques with no relation whatsoever between the two, yet the same signature.
    The style of both was popular in Asia in the mid-20th century, so they could never be antique anyway. I have seen the painting of the Chinese junks about a hundred times, all over Asia and even in Europe. The street scene is more appealing imo, but still 100% factory art.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Art for tourists. I see a lot similar here in U.K. showing French street scenes, Swiss mountains with lake and cabin etc

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with the above. Not atypical examples of 1960s/1970s decorative art (i.e. factory paintings.) Junks at Sunset and Hong Kong Street Scene. There are many similar to be seen on the internet. Their dates, by way, would make them "vintage" rather than "antique" as they are not 100 years old or older.

Debora

images.jpg
    Unknown.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Revedance likes this.
  9. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

When I was a kid they used to call them “starving artists sales”. They would rent out conference rooms at motels or a guy in a van would set up in a parking lot. They would advertise original art starting at $19.95!

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect the frame of the street scene has been changed out to something grander in appearance than it would have had originally.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted