Need help identifying artist or origin of oil painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bobby Stone, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Bobby Stone

Bobby Stone Active Member

I have an old oil paintings ting I recently purchased and it seems to be very old. It is oil on panel,their is no signature or monogram visible that I can see. It has the Italian style craquelure that seems authentic after inspection through loupe. It is in a heavy wooden gilded frame. If anyone recognizes the artist or even style or where it maybe originated from would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks to be a romantic Alpine scene with Matterhorn (or another peak) in background. Probably late 1800s.

Debora

Matterhorn.jpg

3. Bobby Stone

Thanks for the input.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Actually, it could be a bit earlier. It would be helpful if you posted a photograph of the back.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bobby Stone

Ok give me a few and I will post a pic of back

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Bobby Stone

7. Bobby Stone

I have looked at it quite a bit through my 30x Jewelers loupe and it is definitely an original and the craquelure is very fine lines and sharp edges no rounded edges,I'm no expert by any means but I've studied enough to know it's an original oil painting. Thanks for your help.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Bobby Stone

Hopefully those help some.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh,its an oil painting alright,but the question is ,how good ? It strikes me as a "factory" painting,rather amateurish but pleasant enough. A painting can become crackled in an attic, so you cant base age off that.Just a friendly warning,buying art is a very slippery and expensive hobby,Ive got STACKS of paintings in closets. :)

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't appear to be the work of a very accomplished artist.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Bobby Stone

Yes it is crude.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Ok, I am totally confused.
    The title of this thread is about a Chinese vase.
    "Need help identifying Chinese vase age or origin."
    You are asking about an oil painting.
    You show this upload_2017-8-4_19-46-27.jpeg

Yet Debora asks for the back and then you post this which looks like the back of a mirror.
    upload_2017-8-4_19-47-37.jpeg

What am I missing?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Bobby Stone

Ok I edited the wrong title and that is what it looks like when I take the back off of my oil painting

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I just saw your other thread about the Chinese vase.
    I see now that you got your threads mixed up.

The second picture with the back off of the frame, does it appear that the painting is done on mirror? wood? or something else?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Bobby Stone

No it's definitely not a mirror it seems to be wood or something like wood

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like a late 19th century or very early 20th century oil painting on artist's board. Amateur in execution. The cracking looks to be due to improper technique as much as due to age. There is an old adage about painting fat over lean. It is one of the basic rules of oil painting. If not done in this manner, your painting will crack as seen here. More info ......

http://www.winsornewton.com/na/disc...il-colour/understanding-oil-painting-rules-us

17. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

What Brad said. Also, most older canvases and boards were treated with rabbit skin glue as a base. Rabbit skin glue is a protein and when exposed to humidity or moisture can become soft again. Over time this process of softening and hardening causes crackling. This is why most older paintings crackle. Today's canvases are treated with acrylic gesso that doesn't expand or contract but the fat over lean rule still applies.

Draft saved Draft deleted