Featured Need help identifying c.1950s abstract painting acquired from the South of France

Discussion in 'Art' started by Seppy3, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Seppy3

Seppy3 Member

Hello,

I was hoping to ask your thoughts on a painting that I acquired from the South of France (the Cannes/Nice region to be more precise).

It's an oil on canvas that has been somewhat haphazardly tacked onto a strainer and placed in a pine frame. I think both of these are original to the piece and that all likely date to the 1950s, though I'd be interested to hear what you think.

It's an abstract, though there have been moments where I wondered if it could suggest a landscape. There are areas of relatively heavy impasto, and others where it looks like the paint has been incised/scratched.

It's worth noting that not only is the back covered in old mold stains (it will be sent off for treatment), but that the front has also got a few areas of spotting. It's also received a rather slapdash coating of varnish which has yellowed over time.

It measures in at approx. 80 x 80 cm and doesn't appear to bear any inscriptions. Of course, the mold could have obscured light markings.

It seems most likely that it is French and though to my eye it does bear a passing resemblance to the work of a couple of the members of the school of Paris (namely Nicolas de Staël, amongst others), but I could easily be wrong.

I'd be very appreciative of your thoughts as to its quality, but also as to whether the work might suggest the hand of a particular artist? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Rather like this. I do see a landscape so not entirely abstract. You might have a look at some European expressionists. My very quick search turned up nothing strong enough to attribute this. Reminds me a bit of some of Kandinsky's more abstract landscapes.

Boland, Any Jewelry and Seppy3 like this.
  3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

VERY nice. True MCM abstracted landscape. IMO very well balanced and executed. No clue on the artist.

Boland, Any Jewelry and Seppy3 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. And very much like the square format. Inexpensive frame might lead one to believe work wasn't valued much in its time.

Debora

Boland, Seppy3 and reader like this.
  5. Seppy3

Seppy3 Member

Thank you so much for your replies, I'm glad you all like it! Stylistically, Nicolas de Staël may be the closest match I've found, but it's hard to pinpoint a particular artist.

6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I agree and although I have pretty decent knowledge of the US MCM abstractionists I know basically zilch about Europe. (22 Mill…OMG)
    Seppy3, I don’t say this very often but if that were my painting I’d continue to research and would send images around to fish a bit to a few auction houses and the MCM abstract painting dealers In Paris and London and see if anyone has any thoughts they’ll share. I’ve done that in the US and had several small works by major artists identified. I really think it’s a terrific painting. No dang sig anywhere?

Boland likes this.
  7. boycemuske87

boycemuske87 New Member

interesting

Boland likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The colors are so vibrant I'm getting a Spanish feeling about it

Boland likes this.
  9. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Funny where our imagination can go with abstracts. I'm getting a ritual dance vibe. But hey, Thats just me.

Very nice *thumbs-up*

Boland likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I also do like it. And yes I think is well balanced. I would not have thought a abstracted ‘landscape’ at first glance. But I will stare a it for a while longer.

11. boycemuske87

boycemuske87 New Member

:woot:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted