Need help identifying candlestick

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jesse Davidson, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Jesse Davidson

Jesse Davidson New Member

Hello,

I recently purchased what seems like an old pewter candlestick when visiting Finland. It has some marks on the bottom but those marks look like someone hit it with a pointed object. It also seems to have a brass insert at the opening. Any help identifying the origin and age is appreciated.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Jesse !!! ... Joy. :)

i need help likes this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Jesse!

Welcome to Antiquers.

Somehow, it doesn't look like pewter to me. Others will know for sure tho.

i need help likes this.
  4. Jesse Davidson

Thank you for the welcome! I'm also not sure it's pewter, at this point I'm guessing.

i need help likes this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Keep checking back for other replies.

Finland......a Country I'd love to visit!

i need help likes this.
  6. Jesse Davidson

Finland is very nice in the winter, especially Lapland.

From the pictures you will also notice that the candlestick has been repaired at some point, at the base (3rd pic) and on the head of the horned figure (1st pic).

i need help likes this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I've been to Lapland....crossed the Artic Circle and onto Narvik, Norway. A Midnight Train trip many years ago!!

The info on the repair might be a help to others.....me....not so much......

My only thought is that it is not Pewter.

Others will be along soon.

i need help likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Finland is lovely, went there one August. Thankfully, English is widely spoken: I speak a fair few tongues, but Finnish is impenetrable. However, I love the fact that the word for cat is kissa. ;)

Aquitaine, SBSVC and judy like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I understand Finnish is a very difficult language. I have one Finnish friend who speaks a little.....when I try to emulate, I never can.

Kissa is easy! I now know one word in Finnish....thank you. (if I ever have another cat, I think I shall call it Kissa).

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to Antiquers, Jesse!! I don't know much about your candlestick, but from looking at those "chips" off the underside of the base, it almost looks like it might be a covered base white metal that's been decorated......but I would say best to wait for those more knowledgeable to come along!!!:rolleyes:

judy likes this.
  11. Jesse Davidson

Anyone know anything about this candlestick? I, happy to give more info if needed.

12. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

The decoration style and heavy cast manufacture looks late victorian era or possibly into the early 20th century to me. Not much older than that. You could call it gothic, though I don't think that is quite accurate. The color is a bit greenish for pewter, but that seems to be an applied patina, which is not seen underneath the base. Not marked for export presumably because it stayed in the country it was made. I know American pewter much better than european, but made in finland seems plausible to me.

Figtree3, judy and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I had spent a lot of time looking and could not find similar. I was hoping some of our Scandinavian members might know. It seems to be one of the Nordic Gods.

judy likes this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't have any good information for you, @Jesse Davidson , but wanted to say that this looks like it would be at home in an old movie... in an old dark mansion or castle. The bottom seems large compared to the top part, too.

i need help and judy like this.