Featured Need help identifying chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Piece Dove, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

The chair is joined entirely with dowels from what I can see. I'm very interested in hearing what others feel the carving depicts and which period this is from. Thank you. front paw with wooden caster.jpg
    full frontal.jpg Crest.jpg close up of underneath.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can someone lighten this - I can't see what the animal face is

upload_2018-2-3_18-43-44.png

I suspect your chair dates from about 1880. Most likely European.
    @verybrad

Piece Dove and SBSVC like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

@clutteredcloset49 Better?
    chair back.png

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmm, the "figures" on the left and right sides of the top rail of the chair are not the same, to my eye anyway. The (feathered) "wings" are not the same either.

I also wonder if "something" is missing in the lower middle of the center opening/cutout. It looks "rough." It "almost" looks like something has broken off in that center area.

Perhaps all of the above may be because the chair's "decorative embellishments" were hand-carved. ;)

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The critters are dolphins, or look like the kind seen on old European maps anyway. I'd call it Baroque Revival - everything they could carve on the chair, they carved.

6. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

What great feedback! I also see two different figures/critters also. I see the dolphin on the left but had wondered if the right could have been the North Wind? I can see where it would appear something may have been broken from the inside of the center carve out. The entire center has consistent rough carve marks that make the cut out design.

Double dip question regarding this chair. The wood is very dark, almost ebony in color. Is it possible for anyone to tell me by looking at the pictures,what type wood they believe it to be? Additionally, would a mild diluted soapy water and clean paint brush be an appropriate way to clean out the built up dust/dirt within the carvings?

Thanks to you all.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@SBSVC
    Yes, Thank You!:)

I was having a hard time seeing it, and as said I thought I was seeing two different animals and I was!

It's called ebonized wood. It's a type of stain used. Don't know what kind of wood was used. Maybe @verybrad can tell you.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a lion head with wings, so a winged lion. Associated with St Mark and with Daniel.
    Sometimes called a griffin (gryphon), although a griffin has a bird head.

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Use Murphy's Oil Soap, not hand soap.

Christmasjoy and Piece Dove like this.
  10. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

Just so I am clear, are you in agreement the left is a dolphin with the right a winged lion?. Thank you for the identification and the association.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Both are winged lions.
    Dolphins in this style have big rounded heads with bulging foreheads, a tailfin, and often scales. They don't have wings or lion heads on slender necks.
    Baroque style dolphin:
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy, Piece Dove and verybrad like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late Victorian. I think American. Maybe as early as 1880 but produced on in to the early 20th century. My great grandparents had furniture very similar to this that I know they purchased in 1900-01. Although it may be ebonized, it also could be old lacquer that has turned dark over time. I have seen a lot of nearly black furniture over the years that did not start out that way. Impossible to tell wood from these pics. I would call the creatures winged griffins. Dolphins would have fish tails and scales.

Griffin
    [​IMG]

Dolphins
    [​IMG]

13. verybrad

Looks like AJ beat me to it.... ;)

14. Any Jewelry

Great minds, Brad.:hilarious:
    Yes, they are often called griffins. Griffins have bird heads, though.

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy and Piece Dove like this.
  15. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

Thank you all. I'm so excited about this group that I am getting ready to post my second item that I have been very curious about.

16. verybrad

True. Here in the US, we generally call any winged beasty thing on furniture a griffin.

17. Any Jewelry

Not just in the US.
    At least it is called something, I'd hate to see winged beasties go through life without a name.;)

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I saw dolphins at the top of the chair. The feet have the winged critters. (I'm watching the puppy bowl, so I'd call them chew toys at the moment.)

yourturntoloveit and SBSVC like this.
  19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I am betting it's the finish that has turned dark over the years. Easy to find out with a dab of solvent on an inconspicuous spot

LOL, Yep, she'll do that, she knows a lot about this stuff:happy:

Any Jewelry and Piece Dove like this.
  20. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

Thanks James. I'll try that (for curiosity's sake).

Draft saved Draft deleted