Need help identifying chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by chairlady, Feb 5, 2018.

1. chairlady

chairlady New Member

Hi, I need help identifying a pair of chairs that were obtained from Austria couple of months ago. The seller had no clue about their history/place of origin. No mark or label anywhere. They are canned with a seven step technique. The back of the chair is canned with a blind technique and for the seventh step wooden pins are used, so I presume they date before 1850. Any info would be much appreciated.
    20171112_181857[1].jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    The 'furnys' will want to see more detail and better photos especially of any marks.

3. chairlady

chairlady New Member

I am still fighting with to big files :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

After adjusting them try drag and drop. :)
    ~
    FULL IMAGE.jpg

chairlady likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome chairlady. Sounds like you already know more about caning than any of us, but we have some people who are good with styles.

chairlady and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

I more so meant always please. :)

Bronwen likes this.
  7. chairlady

chairlady New Member

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for instructions. I had a problem with image size and finally won the battle with my laptop :)
    About the chairs, there are no labels or marks anywhere on them. As I said, blind canning is used only for the back of the chairs, but the seat is canned as usually.
    The wood - walnut?

I am not native English speaker so please accept apologies for my English.

20170919_223338.jpg

20170919_223409.jpg

20170919_223435.jpg

This is back of the chair from the hind side.

20171112_181953.jpg

Seat of the chair from the lower side.

20171112_182331.jpg

Seat of the chair from upper side.

20171112_182252.jpg

Back of the chair - front.

20171112_181921.jpg

Figtree3, Bronwen and KingofThings like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Chairs appear to be beech or, possibly, some type of fruit wood. not walnut. Definitely hand carved. Style is basically French but something about the shape of the back and form of the crest carving says un-French to me. Can't really delineate my thoughts beyond that. Never heard of dating furniture from the caning as suggested but maybe that is possible. The nuances of European furniture is really not my forte' so would bow to those with more expertise.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

your english is fine.....

10. chairlady

chairlady New Member

Hi

verybrad, thank you. I read this (seventh step done with a help of wooden pegs) in this book:
    Cook, W., 2003: The Complete Guide to Repairing and Restoring Furniture. London: Lorenz Book
    I will try to produce more photos of the wood structure and upload it tonight.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  11. Bronwen

The carved floral decoration is surprisingly simple compared with other features of the chair. Flowers of the forget-me-not (myosotis) type. Because of the name, they had sentimental significance during the Victorian era in English speaking countries. I do not know if this contributes in any way to identifying the time or place of the making.

judy, chairlady and KingofThings like this.
  12. KingofThings

I concur. :)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  13. chairlady

chairlady New Member

Hi, I took some more pictures of the wood structure.

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Still either beech or a fruitwood. Difficult to them them apart and both were used for chairs. I would think more likely beech. You only see fruitwoods being used occasionally and generally from France.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Cherry maybe?

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I see this as definitely not pre-1850, but as late victorian or possibly early 20th century. There was no need to piece and glue together small pieces of wood back pre-1850, (as seen in your last set of pictures of the top piece with the carving) nor would wood members be joined as they are. What country did you buy it in?

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

Full image? :(

18. chairlady

chairlady New Member

Hi, thank you for the suggestions. I bought it in Slovenia (my beautiful country :), but was told that the chairs were brought from Austria. Both Slovenia and Austria were part of AustroHungarian monarchy before 1918. I was thinking more about early 20th century...but then read about pegs being used for seventh step of canning in chairs before 1850 and got confused.

Draft saved Draft deleted