Need help identifying french artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by stfx12, Apr 23, 2017.

1. stfx12

stfx12 Member

I haven't had any luck identifying this thrift store art piece.
    I took it out of the frame. The numbers and the "made in France" are stamped behind the image.
    Anyone have any ideas on the artist?

image1 2.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Name looks like "Barday?"

mirana and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Baway..?..nope !:oops:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

6. Figtree3

There are some people who list the artist's name as Seraly Barday, born 1916 or 1929. However, this seems to be based on a biographical index entry for a Seraly Barday who was in a Who's Who in France volume from the 1970s. I would have to actually see the dictionary entry before believing it was an entry for an artist. The Who's Who types of books generally cover people known for a variety of things, and often governmental officials, business people, or extremely prominent celebrities. I'm still looking, though.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

For some reason, clicking on Debora's link tells me that I should go to the US Ancestry site instead. What info did you use to search, @Debora ?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... I just used "Seraly Barday" on google.com which found information in the "Biography & Genealogy Master Index (BGMI)" on ancestry.co.uk. Beyond that, I couldn't get. Let's see if familysearch.org has anything; it's free to access.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nada. There really is no information out there. Did find a site that credits him with illustrating books. And there are tons of postcards with his work.

Debora

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's rotogravure. An intaglio process, but not like hand pulled prints. This seems to me to be of the Paris Etching Society ilk, though probably not from that particular operation as their prints are usually marked. The plate mark looks fake to me

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

The BGMI is apparently the source that cites Seraly Barday as being listed in Who's Who in France (14th edition, 1979-80). I just verified that entry in BGMI. It appears that the Who's Who source is published in French. I'll try to give a quick look some time while I'm at work today to see if it indicates the person was an artist. I don't know a lot of French, but I do know enough to be able to tell some basics.

13. Figtree3

Just looked... Seraly Barday is not listed as an artist. He was born in Madagascar. He was the head of an import/export company based in Tananarive (Antananarivo), Madagascar.

14. Martini

Martini New Member

This firm was founded in 1925 by Maurice Barré and Jules Dayez, producing cards using colour lithography. Most cards seen are postwar but the example is a prewar one. Barday, the illustrator, is a pseudonym for Barré-Dayez though which if either of them was the artist I don't know.

15. Tfilly

Tfilly New Member

I have this same piece except at the bottom it is signed in pencil with the number “2”. Trying to figure out if it has any value.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Typically, these little souvenir works don't have a great deal of value. And, although the scene of this one is 1920s, I suspect the execution is post-World War II.

Debora

17. Emstar

Emstar New Member

I think it's Francis Barday.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted