Need help identifying Fur Coat

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by KeriK, Jun 24, 2020.

1. KeriK

KeriK New Member

Greetings all! So thrilled to find a forum for these things. My mother-in-law recently passed and we came across this beautiful coat while going through her belongings. I know nothing about them and any help with identifying and suggesting a sale price would be much appreciated. We are in Florida where these coats, while gorgeous, aren’t typically worn. Thank you in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

coyote.......?

smallaxe and i need help like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

And I was thinking Racoon.....but not quite sure!:confused:

Hi Kerik!

Welcome to Antiquers.........:cat:

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Are there any labels at all?

judy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I vote for raccoon too - at least part of it. There may be 2 different animals involved.

Any Jewelry, judy and antidiem like this.
  6. Elif

Elif Member

Coon..!

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Sniped by everyone else who typed "raccoon" faster than I could! ;)

Any Jewelry, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks very 70s . No offense but that thing is ugly ! Im not anti fur either !

Msalicia, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. antidiem

Agreed^^ :clown::clown::mask::mask:

judy likes this.
  10. antidiem

I suggest you take a couple shots of the lining and a label and post 'em up here to be sure you don't have a designer raccoon coat, and if not, well, you can post it up on ebay etsy or craigslist for sale.

judy likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

You guys sure about raccoon? Markings are weird to me but I’m no fur expert but it reminds me a lot of a tanuki coat I had in the 70s which was a Japanese animal in the raccoon family but not like American raccoon. I could be totally off but I remember mine as being very feathery like this one.

12. antidiem

oriental raccoon ? = nothing would surprise me! Thanks, Reader!

reader and judy like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, here are a couple of the pictures right side up!!!

48C34EB0-2DAF-493B-A0EE-54E6BF2441A7.jpeg 4CBB4A58-30C9-423F-A4E1-99A75CEE80E2.jpeg

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Tanuki was huge in the 70s and 80s but the back of that jacket doesn’t look like tanuki to me. I honestly don’t know what it is. I’d send pics to a furrier if there’s no one to easily take it to.

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Just looked on a larger screen. It’s all pieced? Can you look under the lining?

16. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

And that’s all fine and good-I don’t disagree that’s a lovely thing to do but there are many (and I’m one) that think wearing preowned fur is an environmentally correct thing to do for those that live in bitter climates. Nothing will bring a dead animal back and no animal should ever be killed again for its skin other than by native people whose existence is dependent on those animals. There’s enough preowned fur on this planet to rework and wear for many many generations to come

Sorry but I think wearing petroleum based synthetic fibers which pollute our planet and fill our earth is an unacceptable alternative for warmth.

If the owner of the coat wants to donate it, again, that’s lovely but if they want to sell it, IMO that’s fine too. It’s their coat.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  18. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

I had a reasonably priced coat of pieced Norwegian fox in the late 1970s thru the early 80s. It looked very much like pictured here. When the skins dried out they separated and shed something terrible. It was donated to the local SBCA where it kept som poor unfortunate puppies alive I imagine.

reader, MIRED, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That’s a great thing to do with rotted fur. I do the same. If you can pull out more than 5 hairs with gentle pressure on pretty much any fur beside rabbit IMO the piece is gone and donation to a shelter makes sense.

komokwa and PortableTreasures like this.
  20. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

I do not know anything about furs, but it doesn't look like raccoon to me. Have you tried taking it to a local fur shop? I took a fur that we had to a local fur shop and they were able to identify the type of fur immediately at no charge.

reader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted