Featured Need help identifying German piece

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Carolyn Snyder, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Carolyn Snyder

Carolyn Snyder New Member

08B11B64-C1F5-47E6-951F-14497E2C0101.jpeg B8F19C4E-3D33-4595-BC10-76ABBF0D8B8B.jpeg AF864912-4643-43E2-A761-8F89D7C04308.jpeg Hi everyone,
    I bought this beauty at an estate sale and all I know about it is that the 80 yr old woman that sold it to me said it was her late husbands great grandmothers and has been in the family for many years. The makers mark is not identifiable and was hoping someone could help me. Do I possess a dud or something of real value?

Aquitaine, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Made after 1891 and sometime up to WW1

Very cute.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, very.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Adorable.

It reminds me of Berta Hummel's Ring around the Rosie!

My favorite of her creations.

But your mark is not a Goebel........at least not one I have ever seen attributed to them.

upload_2017-10-30_7-59-44.jpeg

Carolyn Snyder likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

7. Carolyn Snyder

Ok so I went through the porcelain marks link sent to me and I am completely dumbfounded that I cannot find this marking. The marking itself seems too simple with just Germany imprinted. I realize this is not Goebel either as I have many Hummels. This seems very rare and honestly would love to know more. I think this is silver wrapped on the piece as well. Hopefully someone can give me some more advice on where to search. I am at a loss but appreciate everyone’s comments.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  8. Carolyn Snyder

I also love this Hummel piece...wish it was in my collection

judy likes this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

This might be hobbyist painted. Just saying.

Carolyn Snyder likes this.
  10. Carolyn Snyder

I don’t think so. The details on this are amazing. Have to see it in person. It is flawless.

11. Baalidun

Baalidun New Member

...is it a music box. And does it play ring around the rosey
    I'm having trouble finding this as a German mark (seriously), but I'm finding similar marks that are Austrian. I'll dig up what I can...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  12. Carolyn Snyder

No it is a solid bowl and lid.

13. Baalidun

Baalidun New Member

Ok...good luck right. I found only two thats very similar, one specifies green and the other was light green or light blue in 1890-1950 germany, but my phone froze and i have to find it again. lucky for you it included GERMANY and all

14. Baalidun

Baalidun New Member

[​IMG]
    https://www.google.com/search?q=roy...ULQCYKHVaaD5wQtI8BCCQoAA#imgrc=votqJ4LQC5dc6M:
    Its in the top right. This is yours, but 'double lined", possibly for custom or hallmarks, obviously special. Endmann Schlegelmilch Suhl, 1861-1924, Thuringia-Saxony-Prussia-Germany
    I am positive
    I knew it was sorta Austrian.
    For the record, I hate "pinterest" and I am never downloading or creating an account, I just prowl here sometimes

15. Baalidun

Baalidun New Member

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Baalidun

Similar is not good enough when trying to find a maker's mark. Too many copies and forgeries.

Very sorry, but what you are showing is NOT a match at all.

upload_2017-10-30_22-44-7.png

upload_2017-10-30_22-43-43.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, very different.
    It looks like there could have been a short name above the mark. First letter script M or H?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  18. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I still think hobbyist. There is hardly any detail at all for even a semi-talented china painter.

Draft saved Draft deleted