Need help identifying jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Levi guy, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Levi guy

Levi guy Member

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Levi Guy!
    I can't identify the manufacturer of either of your cameos but the 1st one appears to be resin with a glued-on cameo, rather than carved. I base this assumption on the fact that there is a solid back to the cameo section. A shell cameo would have an open back to allow the light to pass through.

Your second piece is an intaglio carved, probably glass cameo. Very unusual in bracelet form.

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Welcome @Levi guy :)

Your first piece is vintage, but very inexpensive to buy when new... You can tell by the pressed pin back and the molded cameo... The design is nice. Someone here can date more accurately. 50s or later, I'm guessing.

But that bracelet! Do you see are marks on it? The mount looks like it may be sterling.

Its very pretty - better images will help.

But great job on uploading you pictures!

BMRT, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The second piece, I'd wager money is 1970s (maybe 80s).

The figure represented is very popular for glass intaglio and in this forum she is known as "Headband Girl."

You will find similar examples if you google: 1970s hinged glass cameo bracelet

5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

THAT'S who headband girl is!

Thanks, @Jivvy :)

Bronwen, i need help, Sandra and 4 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I hadn't even heard of her.:confused: Or of headbang girl for that matter.:banghead:
    Must visit this forum more often.:angelic:

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This one is Whiting & Davis:

West German Whiting Davis bracelet.JPG

No idea about yours. 'Headband Girl' originated in W. Germany, as nearly as I can tell is still being made, appears both as cameo & intaglio, every color combo, right & left facing. Widely exported & used by makers of costume jewellery outside of Germany. She turns up everywhere. You'll be relieved to hear this lot was passed.

First one is meant to look like Wedgwood jasper ware. Can't tell material from photo; an inexpensive piece.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree with that date range for the first piece. I would guess 1950s or 1960s. To me the cameo appears to be some sort of plastic, but I don't know what sort. :)

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Was just looking through Collecting Costume Jewelry 303 by Julia C Carroll (a marvelous book) and stumbled over the Whiting and Davis Cameo bracelet that @Bronwen posted (but in rhodium) and it's from their 1976-1977 catalogue.

scoutshouse, Sandra, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted