Featured Need Help Identifying Mark

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Jarl Varg, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Jarl Varg

Jarl Varg Member

Hello All,

Found this cool pitcher in a pile of stuff in my Dad's garage. Not sure what it is. Seems really old. It only has one mark and a number stamped into the bottom. Searched everywhere but couldn't identify it.

Cheers in Advance!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

beautiful jug....maybe for water...
    likely silver-plated if that's the only mark on it..
    have u inspected the item carefully for other marks ....not on the base ??

where r u
    where did dad get it
    what size is it

help us....to help you !!!!;)

kyratango likes this.
  3. komokwa

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Try the mark this way maybe, TTA? If you haven't tried yet, try coffee biggin as search terms.

upload_2023-3-24_17-6-28.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Whatever that mark is for, it isn't a usual British mark for sterling (of the same era as the Bennett listing above or earlier) and means nothing to me as a US mark either.

But if I had to guess, I would be looking at silver plate - and before it comes up, no it's not for Sheffield Plate.

8. Jarl Varg

Jarl Varg Member

Yeah, the Paul Bennett auction item came up for me too when I used Google Image. Got me excited, but that jug has proper sterling marks on it.

It stands about 9 Inches tall. Dad probably got it at an antique store or estate sale in and around Monterey, CA. I wish I could ask him where, but he is no longer with us.

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It has a separate handle and lid knob for non heat transfer so it was probably used for hot water or coffee.

komokwa and Jarl Varg like this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Could we see more photos please? Perhaps a few with the ring of the lid exposed and the entire bottom. I'm sure you've looked over it, but atleast we can all look together.... Really hard to say based on just the mark you provided. It's clearly a quality piece but of course there are quality plated pieces too...

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

[​IMG]

these are on the one SIS found.....

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. Jarl Varg

Jarl Varg Member

I cleaned it up a bit more this morning. You can definitely see it is a plated piece by the way the silver recedes at the middle joints.

Here are more shots. The one mark is all she's got. Lid is a lot different then the one SIS shows as well. Nice copy of the that one, I imagine.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers!

Bottom.jpg Rail.jpg Top.jpg

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted