Need Help Identifying Markings

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marcia Hietala, Oct 6, 2020.

?

Any clue as to makers mark or what the bars indicate??

1. Very Old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Production Process Indicator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Foreign

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Marcia Hietala

Marcia Hietala New Member

Have this incomplete miniature tea/cocoa set which belonged to my mother. It is no doubt from the early 1900s. Just wanting to find out what the markings on the bottom (raised bar and cross bars) indicate. Is it some sort of production process or a makers mark of some sort. Just curious.
    Wanting to sell them but wish to know as much about them as I can for descriptive purposes. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi again, Marcia! Those look to me like what are called "gate marks" resulting from the molding process of manufacture. I am not an expert, though, so wait for others to chime in.

dgbjwc, judy and i need help like this.
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they are not maker’s marks.

dgbjwc and i need help like this.
  4. Marcia Hietala

Thank you!

judy likes this.
  5. Marcia Hietala

Thank you.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like a number, here. Is there anything else? 96E602EF-51B0-4744-ACE0-E0ABCB66C1E8.jpeg

komokwa, judy and John Brassey like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Has anyone else heard of attribution to RS Prussia?

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The bottom marks are of no help in an ID. I believe Bakersgma answer is correct. That being said I don't think I've ever seen those marks on full size RS pieces.

RS Prussia toy sets are not that well illustrated in the reference books and my experience with them is nil. Marples' RS Prussia Formative Years book does have a section on the handles on toy pieces and the OP's set does not match any of those shown. The interior gold bothers me a bit because it's unusual on RS cups. I suspect it's made by another German company but I'd run it by the one of RS Prussia Facebook pages just in case. It could be ES or OS Prussia rather than than RS. It's a pretty pattern (lily of the valley, I think) and indeed from circa 1900. Wish I could be of more help.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I can't help with the maker or pattern but if guessing on the flower I'd think maybe snowdrops or similar.

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted