Need help identifying Native American pottery artists

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bill S, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Bill S

Bill S New Member

Hello I need help identifying these three artists who have marked their pottery only with initials. Thank you!

First piece: Initials SCP with a picture of a mountaintop

SCP1.jpg SCP2.jpg

Second piece: Initials AH?

AH1.jpg Ah2.jpg

Third piece: Jemez pottery with initials AL? AI?

AL2.jpg AL1.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't recognize any of these. The first one, however, is contemporary, and the potter has an unusual style, so anyone familiar with him/her should be able to recognize it. The "S.D.P." is likely the tribal affiliation (Santa Clara Pueblo) rather than the potter's initials. It may be that the symbol above is the potter's initials, rather than a mountain. That does look like a "W," if that's any help.

The second one I have no idea. Could be Santa Clara, San Ildefonso, Jemez, maybe none of those. Potters who sign only with initials may not have tribal membership. Those who do usually include it, since they realize the increased value tribal affiliation can add.

The third, from Jemez Pueblo, is ca. 1970s, painted with acrylics, and marks a low point in Jemez pottery. It's inexpensive souvenir ware, so it probably doesn't matter who the "A.L." actually is. Gregory Schaaf's Southern Pueblo Pottery, 2000 Artist Biographies" lists 9 or 10 potters from Jemez with those initials.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Sorry but I’m pretty useless on NA pottery ID beyond basic pueblo ID.

I agree that the first one is unusual and a couple of photos of that one sent to contemporary dealers and museums in Santa Fe may yield more info. No idea if anyone will respond or not.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. Bill S

Bill S New Member

Thanks for the response. Just an FYI someone was able to identify that first one as Ray Tafoya, Santa Clara Pueblo.

reader likes this.
  6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That’s great and figured that piece could be identified as Taupou stated. I really like it and will check him out!

Draft saved Draft deleted