Need Help Identifying Odd Wooden chair with electrodes and wiring in seat

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jon N., Sep 5, 2018.

1. Jon N.

Jon N. New Member

Hi. What is this thing? There are several copper disks on the top of the seat. On the underside you can see that they are all wired together via the pins that protrude. There are two wires, one white and one black, that appear to have been disconnected from something. There are leather straps that appear to have held some device related to the wiring. Any ideas what this is?

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Something to heat a cushion ??? .. Joy.

judy, antidiem, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So glad you said that Joy, my thoughts went to a very eery place when I read the title. Dare I look? I did, and your reply eased my mind.:kiss:

judy, Jivvy, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my favorite sugar shack had a bench that would give you a mild electric shock...
    folks loved it..

judy, i need help, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

How come? Intentional?:eek:

6. komokwa

a nice large wood settee bench....with a sign ...for all to come and take a photo there.....
    y'know....to remember the fine day's outing...
    once everyone was seated......a staff member would sidle up behind the bench and call out ....1 , 2 , 3 , smile !!!
    On SMILE he's hit the button and the bench would produce a mild shock.....

The photo's from that where hilarious .....!!!

Only 1st time visitors.....would try it.....& every one else in the place would stay mum......until the photo.....then the joint erupted in laughter !!!

7. komokwa

upload_2018-9-5_12-37-48.jpeg

that's not the original bench.......but some of the wall photo's are still there...

judy, Jivvy, i need help and 4 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Just wondering, what are oreilles de crisse?

i need help, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Sorry @Jon N., I forgot to welcome you. So welcome, and I apologize for taking this thread in a totally different direction. But it could be something along the lines the other posters suggested.
    I love the chair, btw, but not so sure about the electricity.

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Well, at least the straps are across the bottom, rather than across the arms or legs, which would indicate it was a voluntary procedure. :nailbiting: :confused:

11. Christmasjoy

I don't think I'd like an electric shock on the arse .. Joy.

12. Christmasjoy

Actually my first thought was that it was some type of home-made torture device .. like the electric chair, but I quickly discounted that as it was too ugly a concept and totally unacceptable in my mind .. that's when I came up with arse warmer LOL .. Joy.

13. Christmasjoy

I will NOT .. NOT I say write poetry about this .. I'm treading on thin ice as it is ...

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can you make out the letters in this section?
    upload_2018-9-5_10-1-34.png

Sorry to say to me it looks like an institutional design. Maybe even military.

15. Christmasjoy

SOOooo .. I'm off to chop up vegetables instead .. :)

16. Christmasjoy

PLEASE don't let it be what my first thought was .. :(

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There was a psychological experiment where the participant was "assistant" to a teacher. The teacher would question a "learner" sitting in an electrified chair. When the learner answered a question incorrectly, the participant would administer a shock to the learner. The power of the shock increased with each incorrect answer. Everything was set up to look very official and very real, and the teacher was very much a sanctioned authority figure going about his ordinary every day work. The learner was his accomplice. No shock was induced, it was all fake, but the learner was acting as though the shocks he was receiving became increasingly painful up to torture levels. The purpose of the experiment was to see how far the participant would go in obeying the teacher, despite inflicting increasing pain on the learner, before rebelling against the teacher's authority.

18. Any Jewelry

MSS C..
    upload_2018-9-5_19-46-40.jpeg

judy and i need help like this.
  19. komokwa

Oreilles de crisse is a traditional Quebec dish consisting of deep-fried smoked pork jowls. It is generally served in cabanes à sucre (sugar shacks) in spring time, .

upload_2018-9-5_13-53-48.jpeg

https://thejolipantry.com/2016/04/26/cabane-a-sucre-a-sweet-death-by-maple-syrup/

& no...I don't mind if a thread wanders around some...as long as the OP's questions get the time they deserve..!

20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Or M&S C[O]. Before I went from the title to the photos, thought it might turn out to be one of those weird old medical devices. Chair may not be for home furnishing, but does not look particularly military to me. I like Joy's first suggestion. It could be a good thing to have if you had electricity but not central heating.

Fid, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted