Featured Need Help Identifying Old Oil Painting Artwork

Discussion in 'Art' started by APainter, Nov 13, 2018.

1. APainter

APainter New Member

Hi , I need help identifying this beautiful old painting. The seller is asking $80 for it. I know it would need to be restored but I am having a tough time figuring the artist's name out . Seems to read R. Pasky . IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_4841.JPG

Any Jewelry, scoutshouse and Pat P like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It does look like a lovely painting. Are you able to take a photo where the light isn't causing glare on the painting? It might help in trying to make out the signature.

And welcome to Antiquers. :)

3. APainter

APainter New Member

Thank you ! Yes Here is an unclose photo of the signature. Hope it helps IMG_4841.JPG

judy, scoutshouse and Pat P like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Maybe something like Pojothy? The first name initial does look like an R.

judy, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here's how it looks to my untrained eye: I think the damage you see is the tip of the iceberg. It has lost a lot of paint and looks ready to lose a lot more. I doubt that re-stretching will do the trick. It looks like someone will have to minutely examine the paint to ensure that it is fixed to the canvas. Also, it looks to me like there's already a repair to the cottage roof. If true, you'd probably want to undo that. Unless you are happy with it as is, or are in a position to do some fairly fancy restoration yourself, or it's worth a wack of money... personally I'd pass on it. Which is a shame, because it looks like it was originally nicely done.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re extent of needed restoration.

Debora

scoutshouse, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Sadly, I also agree about the needed restoration.

That said, if you still want to hunt down the artist, a large photo of the sig (taken straight on, in the shade, no flash) is probably a good plan.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, APainter.

It is a beautiful and good quality painting in a very sorry state. You would need a good, professional restorer, which would cost a lot.
    A good photo if the signature, as Jivvy suggested, would help.

Draft saved Draft deleted