Need Help Identifying Old Studio Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Not Sure What This Is, May 19, 2021.

1. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

Hi,
    I'm hoping that someone might have some clue regarding this piece. I know that the glaze looks like a bit of a mess, but it is rather interesting, especially if you see it in real life. I'm getting American arts and crafts period - if not, definitely has some age, but might be made by an amateur or might be made by a professional potter. The piece is glazed inside and outside with an unglazed bottom. It is incised with the conjoined letters HL. The glaze has a glossy top coat. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Ron

Arts-Crafts-Studio-Pottery-Vase-1.jpg Arts-Crafts-Studio-Pottery-Vase-2.jpg Arts-Crafts-Studio-Pottery-Vase-5.jpg

Van_Poperin and judy like this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Don't know that there is any way to identify it; the styles used by studio and amateur potters persist; this could be made anywhere from 1960 to yesterday. I wouldn't think as early as Arts and Crafts period though. It is similar to many things made by my Mom in the 1990s; and when I think of the hundreds of things she made, and the thousands if not millions of other amateur and studio potters doing the same, for the last half-century or century...I just think it is amazing that anyone ever figures out who made what; and the few correct answers to questions like yours continue to amaze me.
    But maybe someone will have an idea.

judy likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting shape and kinda pretty green though!!

judy likes this.
  5. Not Sure What This Is

Thanks everyone - I'm posting another few photos, if that's at all helpful. I'm including a photo of the interior glaze. The glaze has darker green, light green, grey and yellow tones in it. Even though the drip glaze looks a little haphazard, it has an ethereal quality to it. It is fairly heavy for its size - 1 lb and 1 oz and measures 4 1/2" in height. Note that there's pencil writing on the underside. I've seen this type of thing on old American art pottery previously. I don't know if it's resellers writing a price years later or original. It reads "22- 2.00". I don't think that this is a recent piece (i.e. post 1960). I've handled a lot of pottery over many years and this doesn't look or feel recent. I was hoping that someone might have a studio pottery signature reference, but that might not be helpful if it was made by a talented amateur.

Arts-Crafts-Studio-Pottery-Vase-3.jpg Arts-Crafts-Studio-Pottery-Vase-.jpg

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Clay is not of the type used by most A&C potters. More typical of Southern potters. Think amateur/studio of unknown age.

7. Not Sure What This Is

Thanks verybrad! I agree - this will probably remain a mystery. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have something that I didn't recognize. Much appreciated!

8. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

9. Not Sure What This Is

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Don’t underestimate this board! I was shocked when someone here found the maker of my studio pottery piece! It was clearly hers by looking at the style and initials. But I never would have found that info on my own in a million years : -)

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

What Country/State is it from?

12. Not Sure What This Is

Hi I need help,

It was found here in Quebec Canada, but it could have originated from anywhere. There are mostly people of either French or British ancestry here, but, like anywhere, there are many nationalities that have immigrated here. In line with what very brad said, I believe that American Southerners would summer in the North, even here in Quebec, to escape the heat.

i need help likes this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted