Need help identifying painting and artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by Oskar, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Oskar

Oskar New Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Welcome Oskar,
    You will need to provide more information rather than two links that show very little.

Click "Upload a File" when you reply and add more pictures directly into your post.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Oskar

Oskar New Member

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Well it looks like an original watercolour. As for the signature...J..Perry?
    That's the best I can come up with.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very beautiful. It is a Romanian shepherd.
    Name Silpessy? S. T. Pessy?
    Maybe you have to search for a Romanian name ending in essy.

7. Oskar

Oskar New Member

I tryed no results, i've been trying to figure out this painting for a while now..

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Oskar

Oskar New Member

No surnames ending with essy, might not be romanian ?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

The painter could have come from anywhere really, painters travel, looking for perfect subjects.
    And Romania is one of those countries with a lot of ethnic groups.
    There are many ethnic Hungarians and Germans. Then there are Gypsies, who could have adopted any name during their travels, although many were named by their 'owners' during five centuries of slavery.

11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I have conflicting information to provide to you. I came across the artist Zoltan Szepessy born 1898. This work is one of the only ones that shows up when spelled in that manner (personally I think the signature looks very similar).

http://www.altes24.de/upload/images/170909/z/img_5099.jpg

It also appears that this artist (or maybe there are two different artists) went by Zoltan Sepeshy (or that is the common translation). These signatures really dont look like yours... Here is the link to the ebay listing of the first link...can anyone translate?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gemaelde-Sze...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(scroll down on that link for more photos of the painting).

KingofThings likes this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

13. Any Jewelry

Not much info, the painting is called Goose Girl with Flock of Geese, painted ca 1920. Oil on linen. The other info refers to the weight, size, condition, and that it is highly decorative, super quality, good potential, just a sales pitch.

The last link you posted is for a painting by a György Szepessy, not Zoltan.
    They could be related, maybe it is a family of artists.
    The names are Hungarian, which could be from Hungary, or from ethnic Hungarians in Rumania, where they are one of the main ethnic minorities. Or even another country with a Hungarian community.

judy likes this.
  14. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

The Zoltan Sepeshy born in 1898 (in Kosice, now in Slovakia) went to the United States in 1921. There is a great deal of information about him online, eg.
    http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/3aa/3aa226.htm

The painting on Ebay is dated 1936, and seems unlikely to be his work, as he'd left Europe long before. It certainly doesn't look the work of such a highly trained artist in any case.

Having said that, even though it isn't by Zoltan S., it may well be by the same artist as Oskar's watercolour. If you take into account the different mediums, the signatures aren't that unlike each other.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted